Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B dropped to A?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Opus, May 25, 2000.

1. Opus

Opus

May 25, 2000
    I have a Tobias Growler 5-string and wonder if it is possible B string can be intonated as low as A?I also would like to know if anyone could tell me of a good bridge replacement that does not require drilling? This one is cheap and the saddles are constantly shifting towards the bottom of the bass.I beg you, share your wisdom.

------------------

2. The bass player in Korn drops his B to an A i do believe. The thing is can your amp handle it?

3. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    But on that line, I do believe Fieldy sucks??

And it really depends what quality your bass, a lot of cheap basses or plain crap ones have an unstable neck and bridge saddles, along with pathetic tuning heads that will 'drop' the string's pitch even lower.

And amps of course.

------------------
    He who waits will sit there for a long time....

-A man who had nothing better to do than write this

4. Opus

Opus

May 25, 2000
    I fixed the problem with a new 99 Warwick Thumb b.o.
    What a killer fix, and no I don't want to be like Korn. As we speak rap core is breathing its dying breath. Thanks for the replies.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have a Tobias Bassic Five five string. That is one of the higher priced Tobias basses. I have tuned down to A on it, but the guitarists in my band at that time had so much trouble with A tuning, we decided to stay at B tuning. I do have a 15 inch cab and a 2X10 cab, so the low frequencies weren't a problem. Sorry you don't like Korn.
    Someone above said Fieldy is gay, but I believe he is married and has a child, unless I am mistaken. I don't think rapcore is "breathing its last breath either."

Jason Oldsted

6. Opus

Opus

May 25, 2000
    As far as I'm concerned Kid Rock all ready impaled it before it stopped wiggiling. Any one can rap it is the easy way out.I'm not one one of these anti-sell out guys, I know it is an investment and a lot of people pick up instruments as a child , including myself, in hopes of becoming a rock star. But, there is a limit, Korn nose dived after Life is Peachy, Limp Bizkit, the worst second release ever. Rap core will never have its own classification because it is rap! But it is rap that marketable to more whites. I'm not racist, that is how Elvis got his start. He had a black mans rythm with a white face, blacks weren't allowed on radio even. Elvis only did what thousand black men had done before. Anyway, music is all opinion and that was mine. By the way I know Feildy isn't gay but he is tone deaf listen to the first three albums.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have to agree to the tone "deafness" of Fieldy.
    But, Can you think of a Better sound for that Kind of music?
    I think he found the greatest sound to fit what Korn needs.
    Also, I think Fieldy has a tone that sets him appart. Its not that "easy" to emulate.

BTW. I dont like Korn too much, neither Limp Biskit, Im more a Dream Theater guy. (I also hear Fourplay and Nestor Torres) But do like a lot of the energy he puts on the low end grind.

8. I confess I've never heard "Fieldy" play (unless I just didn't realize it), but he must be doing something right (or terribly, terribly wrong ;)) if he's where he is and we all know his name...

9. I have a Carvin LB75 With actives I placed a hipshot guitar tuning post on the B string. With a good quality turner it read fine in the open B and open A. I found it most effective in ballads and with the 3rd string still ringing. I use an Eden XLT ( double ported ) 2X10. Should you like this idea the b string needs to be trimmed shorter to accomidate the smaller post.

10. Would anyone know of an amp similar to Carvin R1000 or R600
    I would like to rent one to bi-amp my Eden 2X10XLT & Carvin 1X15. I use a Carvin LB75 active p/u