Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-E-A-D Tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IanthePez, Oct 16, 2000.

1. IanthePez

IanthePez

May 29, 2000
    I have a fender MIM Jazz Bass and just for fun I tuned it
    B-E-A-D. I really like the sound and was wondering if i should even bother getting a new nut and getting bigger strings, etc. It sounds pretty good now, not too flimsy at all. Thanks

Pez

2. this was talked about quite a few times, check the archives, it was back on the old board.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if it sounds good, leave it - you're probably fine.

4. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi Pez, Muttluk and JT!
    I have a similar question, but started looking "old threads" and found this. Muttluk is referring to "real old thread" - so where to find this - any help from you Hambone?

The case is: I am considering a TUNE BASS MANIAC 4 string and to tune it B-E-A-D. I guess it is 35 inch scale - so no problem there. The thing is if I should get thick set (125-100-80-60) or just (105-90-70-50? this would work on Modulus Quantum). Of cource the sepup would be different, but someone said that the tension is the main parameter to get the right tension and then eliminate the buzz?

Am I just fooling or is there a direct relation to scale length, tuning-down and string set. Where to start from?

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey jerry

just get the strings you would normally want for those tunings - ~.125-.130 for low B, ~.100-.105 for E, etc. the tension should be fine. a low B has a bit less tension than the G string in a standard set, so you shouldn't have a problem in that department.

6. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey JT and others,

Glad to see you online (I guess you're there always?!). Thanks for your advise, but ... it seems the guy selling the TUNE was not ready to part from it. So, I just continue with my excisting stock of basses and use my Squier Protone 5 instead of down tuning one of my 4s.

I'll keep you posted when something happens!
    Well the life must go on. SIGH!