Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.E.T.? Im addicted!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Right now Im watching Willie Bobo's band rip up "the Ghetto" Funky!

Who else loves BET sure it doesnt sound great but ***, video insperation!

AJ

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    love BET... i'm sorry. Actually the only thing i watch on BET is comic view. One of my favorite shows. Other than that i never watch it... everything just seems to ridiculous for me.

pez

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man when I was over at my friend's house I was watching his digital cable and got a whiff of BET's other channel, BET Jazz! It's all live jazz concerts and whatnot. What a channel!

brad cook

4. BETJazz is the stuff!!!!
    i love "live at the knitting factory." i've seen rasputina, jacob fred jazz odyssey, and some other great acts on that show.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I use to get what was called "The Intro Channel", which let you sample different channels. One of the things it had, was BET Jazz. I recorded some of the performances. Some really good stuff on it, Nneena Freelon, Diana Krall, (before she became well known), Dr. Billy Taylor. Great stuff. Unforunatley, they took the intro channel off. :(

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't enjoy how it's Black Entertainment Television though. :meh: I mean... could you imagine the reviews White Entertainment Television would get... I mean, everytime I talk about this, I sound racist... but I'm not, I assure you. But I find it racist to have any race exclusive channel, magazine, etc. No matter what race it is.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i don't have a problem with it and i'm mexican-italian american.

i guess people think different. you know in san antonio in the 60's there were things like signs that said "white only" and "mexican only" fountains?

sad isn't it.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Uh Ohhh....

I see a sharp left turn in the thread.....

AJ

9. remember when Ghostface Killah from Wu-Tang said they were too black for BET? i know exactly how he feels.

...i'm too white for BET.

zing!

10. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I'm betting this thread gets out of hand and is closed in 12 more posts.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    It seems to me that the cool live shows are on Sundays, I could be wrong....

I saw the Stanley Clarke show with all the bassists on a Sunday morning

12. If you think about, almost every network is White Entertainment Television (UPN, WB, and BET being exceptions). Look at any of the major television corporations...how many major black characters are there in the highest-rated television shows? Rare is the black character who appears on Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond. I think if there were more ethnically mixed television shows, there wouldn't be a need for BET.

On a barely-related topic, I think BET Jazz is a pretty cool channel. They had a Stanley Clarke concert on there not too long ago in which he played with some smoking musicians.

13. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    hurry people...only 10 more post to go I'm bettin'. (my post doesn't count)

14. um, knock it off. posting comments like this is no better than derailing the thread.

on topic, i saw victor wooten on some BET jazz program. i was not expecting that, it was pretty :cool:

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get over it! It's owned by Viacom, a white owned company. Take it up with them. Besides, EVERY insecure person launches that salvo. As for the station, I'm not too crazy about it.