Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[B]Great R&B Sound?[/B]

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hippobottamus, May 20, 2004.

1. Hippobottamus

Hippobottamus

Jun 24, 2003
    Hey, I’m hoping a few of you could help me out. I’ve been listening to a lot of R&B lately esp. D’Angelo’s “Voodoo” (a classic modern r&b album) and was wondering if anyone has had experience getting that really compressed, horn like mid’s sound with lots of dynamics and how they achieved it? Generally is it your bass, compressor, your rig? I play a G&L L-2500 through an Acme B-2 and Carvin R600. I realize being an experienced bass player makes the greatest difference but I’d like to start down that path with some good advice. Thanks.

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Pino Palladino played bass on that album. There was an article him in Bass Player a couple months ago and he talked a bit about the recording. I believe he used a vintage P with flatwounds. And I know he is an Ashdown endorser. Are you trying to get that sound in the studio, live, or both? Your rig may be a little "clean", but flatwounds and tube effects/preamps would probably help you. Maybe something as simple as an Aguilar outboard pre- feeding your amp.

Technique wise, I know a lot of players doing the hip-hop, r&b thing these days talk a lot about thumb plucking (not sure if Pino does that). An old school technique that seems to be resurfacing.

Also, check out Roy Hargrove's "Hard Groove". Pino played on that one as well as Reggie Washington (this cat is unreal).

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is more a question of tone then technique.

Pino is the man. IMO best fretless player ever.

4. Pino does kick, but yeah, that tone is soo nice on that album. And D'Angelo's live stuff is great...its really awesome soul and funk stuff! The Soultronix are the ****, and D'Angelo let em do quite a bit, reminds me of Prince's shows, except with less prince. um...Yeah, 63 P, flatwounds, downtuned to either D or C#. I dont know, he gets a lot of punch in the mids and with no string noise, just pure tone that makes you wanna...well...just great stuff.