Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-Max & Bergie heaven or "help?"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by weldon, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Great setup that will let you find your sound!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Close, but I've got a suggestion...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. For that money, you need to start over

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I've been doing a ton of reading on here lately to try and figure out what to buy to upgrade my amp and cab. Now I'm asking the kind people here for a sanity check since I have to buy most of this gear sound unheard.

I'm looking to get a BBE B-Max pre and a QSC PLX-2402 to drive a Bergantino NV610. I was looking at a Aguilar GS 412, but I have a chance to get a used NV610 for about half the price of a new GS 412.

$280 B-Max (new)
    $800 QSC PLX-2402 (new)
    $650 Bergantino NV610 (used)

$1730 (includes tax & shipping)

I could save $200 by getting a PLX-1602 if everyone thought that was enough power to drive the NV610. I don't need to be super loud for most gigs, I've usually got good PA support. I need the cabinet for stage volume and for small gigs where we don't bring the full PA.

I need something deep, warm yet punchy with a hint of growl. I'm still looking for MY tone so I want a rig with some flexibility and range. I've discounted the Alembic F-1X (as much as I want it) because I've heard that the range of tones is limited.

I play a Yamaha TRB II-4 (active 4-string) fingerstyle with a bit of slap. I'll add a 5-string to my collection after Christmas bonuses come out, so I will need the low-end eventually.

2. where did you find the B-Max for $280? I was looking into getting one, and everywhere that I've looked, they are about $350.

3. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I'll tell you, but you have to respond to my question as well. :) Why are you interested in the B-Max?

Try Rik's Music

4. I've got an NV610 2402 and Demeter 201s = Sweet!
    Sounds even more awesome with my Mesa 400+
    :bassist:

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For that money, you could get an M-Pulse 600 to go with your NV610. As I recall, anohter TBer has that setup and is very happy with it.

Tom.

6. My bad... :)

I'm not sure what the efficiency specs on the Bergantino 610 are, but IMO that setup should be thunderously loud, certainly loud enough to permit you to run without PA support if necessary. IIRC, the Begantino's are efficient, and that much wattage into a 610... :D

I'm looking at getting rid of my Peavey Nitrobass head for a rack setup, and I've heard good stuff about the B-Max. Thanx for the link.