Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B on a 4 stringer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Dec 31, 2001.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Is there any problem with setting up a four striner like a 5 except using a BEAD configuration? We have a couple of tune that require it but not enough to warrant a new fiver.

Mike

2. YIKES man, I'd just get a 5-string - even if it's for one tune. You can always use a 5 on 4-string tunes, and use the B to add flavor once in a while....

3. You'd have to make sure the tuners/bridge could take the size of the B string. Then you gotta cut the nut (irreversible process : Warning!). With the good low cost 5'ers out there now, it's really a better idea to get a bass that was designed as a 5 string. Plus then you don't lose the G string. Duh. I don't think I could have made a more obvious statement.

I'd check in the the MTD Kingston/Heir twins, Possibly a Jazz MIM 5 string, Heck even swim over to musicyo.com and check out a neck-thru Pro-5.

HTH.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Back during the summer, we played a club and next door at another club was Microwave Dave and the Nukes. They came over and checked us out so we went over and checked them out. The bassist, Rick Godfrey (nice guy), had two Tele basses, both set up BEAD. I own several basses, so I thought I would give it a try. It worked out well. I didn't have to do anything to the nut or even adjust the truss rod.
    BTW... Microwave Dave and the Nukes is a killer blues band. Check them out if you want to hear BEAD tuning.
    http://microwavedave.com/

5. I've seen some weird strings/bass combinations lately, based on my relaive-null experience, this "hybrid" basses can be a good alternative for those who can't affort a new or more expensive bass or simply for those who can't migrate to a bigger fingerboard (believe me, this kind of people exist :D ).

A friend of mine has two 5 strings, one using the standard tunning (BEADG) and the other using EADGC, close to a 6 strings. The first time I saw this, I tell him "You are @#€! nuts! this thing works?" For my surprise, sure, it works perfectly.

Another example is my girlfriend, who uses a 4 strings tunned BEAD , sounds really good. She uses a Warwick Corvette Standard with a strange piece of metal on the headstock to compensate tension loss.

If you don't want to experiment nothing that can damage your actual bass, take a look to the Schecter Scorpion Bass (on Musicians Friend), this bass was designed to use the BEAD tunning.

Good Luck!

EBP