Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B.P. Review: Spector NS2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RIZ, Oct 26, 2000.

1. In the latest issue of Bass Player, there is a review of the Korean made Spector NS2000/4.

Very decent scores per the BP crieria. Aside from a couple of slightly high spots at the 9th and 11th frets there was no real complaints or problems mentioned, in fact their overall summation under the score box was "Killer bass that won't kill your bank account"

Check it out!

2. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I just got mine in the mail a few days ago and I was wondering if the B.P. reviews are acurate or if they are "influenced" by the manufacturers. I couldn't help but notice that all Carvin stuff in there got close to perfect scores in the past but I have heard some people saying things about Carvin that don't accurately reflect those reviews (not intended as a Carvin flame at all, just an observation). Also it was weird that they had an ad for the Epiphany 310 cab on one page, and then on the very next page there was a review of it and it did very well. Is all this just a coincidence or are their reviews a little bit biased? Sorry to get off the subject RIZ, but I was just curious. I think the Spector looks good and I might actually consider getting the 5 string version. One more thing, did anybody see the ad for the Spector rex brown basses? Those look pretty cool but I wonder how they compare to the actual bass rex uses. Sorry to ramble on and bore all of you, but I have a lot of free time.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you're right - Bass Player aren't going to say anything bad about a product that is made by a potential advertiser, who might not be so keen to pay up next time!
    I think you have to read between the lines and if they say that something is good for the price, then they really mean that they don't like it, but can't complain as it's so cheap.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    BP is quite clear that a "4 out of 5" on a $500 product is NOT equal to a "4 out of 5" on a $5000 product!!!

I do find different reviewers have different perspectives (biases?). This new guy Scott Shiraki praised someone for NOT using a pop up battery compartment, preferring having to unscrew a cover. This is the exact opposite of what BP reviewers were saying in other reviews for years!! I actually emailed Scott over this and he said he calls 'em as he sees 'em (his background is doing lots of repair work and he claimed those pop up compartments fail over time).

They once blasted some amps for not having removable power cords...that one came out totally of the blue! All I know is I have yet to see an amp with a removable cord that had any way to STORE the cord and after doing a gig once where the guy bringing the PA left ALL his power cords at home, I have a different view of removable cords (ha ha).

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That may be true, but it's still a bit deceiving. If you read the reviews of products closely, you'll notice that the magazine tends to gloss over flaws of products they review. And, they don't really justify the score that a particular product receives. It seems there's really no way to judge how they come up with a score and how it applies.

All in all, I find the reviews substandard.

What we need, as bass players, is a magazine that's supported entirely by subscribers, and not advertisers. That way, at least the reviews would be unbiased. It's a shame that it couldn't be profitable...:(

6. Some of BP's reviews seem biased, but I know a lot of products have recieved less than perfect scores. The Washburn XB-200 Fretless got an average of 2, and got a comment of "small bass, small sound". I saw one of the Bass Balls products got a 3 or something like that. I'm sure a lot of them are fixed, but advertisers realize that BP is the largest bass oriented magazine in the world, and their products get way more exposure than they would in "Bassics" or some of the other bass magazines. Just my 2 cents...

7. Remember how BP used to give certain albums poor reviews, back when they used to grade the overall performance and the bass playing.. but now they call the album reviews "BP Recommends" and only include albums they liked? I think they're moving in the same direction with the gear reviews.. only publishing reviews of things they like. That's regrettable. But then again, as we've said a million times before, it's subjective. If the BP staff doesn't like a certain piece of gear, who's to say it's not pie in the sky for someone else?
    I just got back from a music store (picking up my Carl Thompson after modification round #2) and while I was waiting, I noodled around on the aforementioned Spector NS2000/4. Very nice. I don't quantify basses by the price tag, and I don't believe in saying a bass is good "for the money." Either a bass is good, or it isn't. I've played $300 basses that melted in my hands and sounded great, and I've played $3000 basses that were unwieldy and sounded awful. If a bass plays and sounds good, it's good, period.

8. I think often times these reviewers praise the praiseworthy and stand mute on the less than praiseworthy. It becomes up to us to read between the lines to see what they aren't commenting on to find the flaws. I find that tedious. That's why I haven't even looked at a BP in years. I'd rather get oppinions from people here.

9. I agree with most of you on this but please understand my goal here in posting this was to just say "hey guys, check this out" nothing more or less.

I think it is noteworthy to point out that inspite of the popular trend by some here at TB(but not nessesarily anyone replying to this post) to rip on Korean made basses, BP couldn't find any substandard portions of construction or finish on the test bass. Of course since the majority think that the reviews are biased then maybe there really was a bunch of jacked up things on that bass, who knows? I don't. We all can speculate forever, but no one here actually has or is currently working for BP,and can enlighten us all with the truth.

BP politicas aside, compare the Yamaha bass reviewed on the page before. One should be happy you did not just purchase one of those. BP was not as soft spoken with that model bass at all, and remember that Yamaha cuts a fat check to BP for their ad $upport. Do you think Yamaha got their $$$ worth in that issue after a review like that? They'll be back.

My point is that this being such a subjective subject BP seems to call 'em as they see 'em based on each reviewer's subjective interpetation and taste. Again the key here is'subjective'.

I never intended this post to indicate that the BP review was/is the "end-all" opinion on this bass, just a 'if ya missed it - checkit out' type of thing. The carved body, neck-thru NS2000's are not 1990 vintage Tobias'quality nor do they pretend to be, but more realistically good mid-priced bass overall.

I guess maybe we should all find a different bass mag to read, this one's crap.-totally full of propaganda!! wow, they actually had me believing the BP party line that this might be an o.k. bass for a minute. whew,, thanks for turning me around on this one.

I feel like one of the lucky ones!!!!
    whew,, what a relief...........:)

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. :D:D:D

Bassplayer does seem to give pretty benign reviews of products when they're not in love with them and wonderful reviews when they really like something. But, those wonderful reviews aren't even that wonderful any more! The review of my bass was amazing!!! They praised the Spector NS-4 so much that you KNEW where they were coming from. However, in a recent "high-end corner" review, they didn't come across as excited about the Celinder bass. If they're not going to go nuts over a product, why does it make the "high end corner"?

Their reviews are becoming a mystery to me, completely!

But, you're right...at least we get honest and full opinions here on this website! Most of us are SO opinionated that we know what's good even before turning off our computer!!!