B String - 1x15? 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Racsen, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    I have Cort A6 and used to play with Randall 200 Watt combo with 4x10 cabinets and sound was distorted when I play low B.

I was thinking that 4x10 cabinets produce this distortion but now I have Laney 120 watt combo with 1x15 and with low B I hear same distorted sound.

Is there a problem? all low b are the same?
  2. I think it might be you are pushing too many lows out your amp, or tying to, how do you have it EQ'd?

You might just not have enough headroom for what you want to do, ive got a 4x10 and a 2x15 and never have distortion problems when playing a low B
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

12's work nicely also!
  4. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Thank you I'll try some eq settings..

I think I need some head- cabinets with 2x15 :)
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A quality 4x10 cab with enough power pushes a low B just fine. I do it all the time, with glass-shattering volume.
  6. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    120-200 Watt :eyebrow: - You need more power to get a clean low B tone.
  7. The cab tuning has a lot to do with it, I get great low b with a 2x10. (EA).

Is the speaker farting, or the amp distorting, can you tell? What volume are you shooting for? Are you boosting lows excessively? Neither a regular 4x10 or a 1x15 is going to put out a real loud low b, not with a hundred watts or so. There's a few exceptions for exotic cabs, but usually not, and those exotic cabs usuallly require a lot of power.

How does that saying go? Small cab. Extended low freq response. Efficiency (requires low power). Pick any two, you can't have all 3.

8. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    i have an Ashdown MAG300H with an Eden 210XLT and it handles my Ken Smith's low B just fine. its a high signal bass and no distortion unless i am really pushing it.

change ur EQ settings to avoid that problem. 4x10 have always handled low Bs ... may be not as good as 12s or 15s but its by no means will distort ur low B all the time.
  9. Try pushing your low mids a bit instead of your low bass, this will give you the fullness you are looking for with the low b, and will save your amp from having to work so hard that it distorts...
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

course, w/ too much power or, if you're cranking the bass knob, you're gonna get that annoying fart.

but lots of wattage, and judicious use of your lows knob makes for a tight B string.

heck, if you like a dark, bassy sound, why not cut the highs? your cab and B string will thank you.