1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B string advice needed...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JohnL, Nov 13, 2000.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Got a chance to pick up a MIM Jazz 5 string for not much, but the flabbiness of the B string leaves a little to be desired. I would probably replace the bridge asap anyway; would it be wise to convert it to a through-body bridge, and do strings fed through the body help tighten up a B? I have a MIA Jazz 4 string fed through the body, and I love the sound, I just didn't know if it would effect the B enough to be worth it.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Definitely go with a highhigh mass bridge, like something brass. String thru would also help a lot. And if there are still problems, you could always use a heavier gauge B, like a .135.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It is actually the strength of the neck, that has the greatest affect on a B string. Unfortunately, I don't believe that any of your suggestions, would really make much of a difference.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, its the neck, but i was giving him advice of ways to improve it without switching out the neck.

Though dude, you can get a graphite neck from Moses for it. Thatll do it perfectly. But way more drastic.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks, guys!

6. I had a MIA Jazz 5, and I tried everything known to man, short of changing the neck, but to no avail. I found that Ernie Ball Slinkys or D'Addario Prisms were good strings as they have a tighter B, I changed to a heavier bridge, I ran the strings through the body. But a dog is a dog is a dog. Dumping it for a Stingray 5 was the best thing I ever did.