Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B string advice needed...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JohnL, Nov 13, 2000.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Got a chance to pick up a MIM Jazz 5 string for not much, but the flabbiness of the B string leaves a little to be desired. I would probably replace the bridge asap anyway; would it be wise to convert it to a through-body bridge, and do strings fed through the body help tighten up a B? I have a MIA Jazz 4 string fed through the body, and I love the sound, I just didn't know if it would effect the B enough to be worth it.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Definitely go with a highhigh mass bridge, like something brass. String thru would also help a lot. And if there are still problems, you could always use a heavier gauge B, like a .135.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It is actually the strength of the neck, that has the greatest affect on a B string. Unfortunately, I don't believe that any of your suggestions, would really make much of a difference.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, its the neck, but i was giving him advice of ways to improve it without switching out the neck.

Though dude, you can get a graphite neck from Moses for it. Thatll do it perfectly. But way more drastic.

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Thanks, guys!

6. I had a MIA Jazz 5, and I tried everything known to man, short of changing the neck, but to no avail. I found that Ernie Ball Slinkys or D'Addario Prisms were good strings as they have a tighter B, I changed to a heavier bridge, I ran the strings through the body. But a dog is a dog is a dog. Dumping it for a Stingray 5 was the best thing I ever did.