Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B-string half step sharp

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rookiejacofan, Sep 12, 2004.

1. rookiejacofan

rookiejacofan

Sep 4, 2004
    RI USA
    I recently aquired a 5-string fretted neck-thru, with Fishman piezo bridge, and I restrung it with TI Powerbass strings.
    I was able to intonate the first four strings nicely, the nut-to-twelfth-fret measurement (and consequently the twelfth-fret-to-saddle) approx 17.5 inches on each. Then I came to the low B string... I set the 12-to-saddle at 17.5 inches, and according to my Korg DT-3 it is almost a HALF STEP SHARP.
    For the heck of it I tried to lengthen the string, I even removed the spring for some extra adjustment room, adjusted the saddle ALL THE WAY toward the bridge, and I was not able to get within a QUARTER STEP of low B.
    I would appreciate ANY input that you might have, thanks!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sounds like the saddle won't go back far enough. Question is, is it just a problem for that string or for any TI B?

If the latter, consider using a taperwound B, which should end up needing the saddle slightly ahead of the E's.

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I had the same problem with TI Powerbass strings, but to a lesser extant than you.
    What fixed it was dropping the action just a touch.