Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B string hitting the pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Personator, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    The B string on by MIM jazz deluxe is unusable as it hits the pickup if you play above the 6th fret. The pickup height is even, and the string is level with the others. I also cant adjust the string any higher at the bridge. Any suggestions?

2. how hard do you play? try it with a lighter touch, perhaps...

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I guess you could just screw your pickups farther into the body, that's what I've done

4. Whats the neck relief like? You should be able to adjust the string pretty high. But if it is already high and you still hit the pickup, perhaps you are digging in too hard.

Or try dropping the pickup on the B string side.

:D:D

Merls

5. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    I dropped the B side a bit, and now it works up to like fret 14. Its not my playing, i made sure to play as lightly as possible to test it. still sounds really bad for slap, but that might be the like 3 month old string itself.

6. Does the string rattle at all, do you have fret buzz etc?

Just thinking of possibilities such as the nut being cut too deep....

Whats your intonation like? Aka how far forward is the string saddle? You might not have enough break angle over the saddle.

:D:D

Merls