1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B String intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Mar 20, 2002.

1. how do i get my b string to intonate????

ive had the saddle as far back as it would possibly go and it was still 20+cents sharp... adn that is ultra noticable to me and it makes my b string sound dead when i play up high...

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Time for a naked core string???
    Or major alterations of the bass, like moving the bridge back...or the nut.

I don't really know, but I have a gut feeling that a naked core string just might bring the center down, low enough to remedy your problem.

3. what do you mean naked core string???

i dont think i will be altering my brand new baby any time soon...

but it does have a taper b string on it i think.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Naked core means that the core is bare the last inch or two before the bullet.
    Not very common, I believe. Conklin Snakeskins are such, though.

5. Are you intonating using a tuner or your ears? I was going to mention this in another thread where someone couldn't get it to intonate at the 24th fret.

I personally prefer to use my ears. Electronic tuners, fine, they get it perfect, but sometimes u just can't get it perfect. If you use your ears and it sounds fine then leave it. Afterall its what people/and yourself will be hearing not seeing on some dial.

Most times i find it sounds great with my ears yet is slightly out on the tuner. Your ears are the best guide.

if you're still concerned about the saddle movement, i mean that is a fair way back on the bridge, take it to a luthier, or bass tech.

:D:D

Merls

6. ive taken it to a guitar tech.... they said they intonated it but it was still 15-20 cents sharp

and my bridge has a problem.. it has little or no effect on the intonation of the strings and the saddle on the B moves down if it isnt at least partially resting on the E saddle...

7. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    The B string is the hardest to intonate because of the thickness. If you don't normally play the open B string (a lot of bassists don't, including me), I would advise you to compensate for the sharpness by tuning it slightly lower than pitch. That way when you play notes on the B string, you are actually playing closer to the pitch. Slight sharpness or flatness are barely noticeable in a song, especially on low notes.

8. took hard work and some tweakin of the action but i got it down now!

Anyone who touches The Black Beauty dies painfully...:p:):D

9. A contact core string like Labella SuperSteps will allow you to bring the saddle forward. Personally, I intonate the B to sound in tune from open to 12th fret, as I would never play it above there anyway.