B String intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Mar 20, 2002.

1. how do i get my b string to intonate????

ive had the saddle as far back as it would possibly go and it was still 20+cents sharp... adn that is ultra noticable to me and it makes my b string sound dead when i play up high...
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Time for a naked core string???
    Or major alterations of the bass, like moving the bridge back...or the nut.

I don't really know, but I have a gut feeling that a naked core string just might bring the center down, low enough to remedy your problem.
  3. what do you mean naked core string???

i dont think i will be altering my brand new baby any time soon...

but it does have a taper b string on it i think.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Naked core means that the core is bare the last inch or two before the bullet.
    Not very common, I believe. Conklin Snakeskins are such, though.
  5. Are you intonating using a tuner or your ears? I was going to mention this in another thread where someone couldn't get it to intonate at the 24th fret.

I personally prefer to use my ears. Electronic tuners, fine, they get it perfect, but sometimes u just can't get it perfect. If you use your ears and it sounds fine then leave it. Afterall its what people/and yourself will be hearing not seeing on some dial.

Most times i find it sounds great with my ears yet is slightly out on the tuner. Your ears are the best guide.

if you're still concerned about the saddle movement, i mean that is a fair way back on the bridge, take it to a luthier, or bass tech.

6. ive taken it to a guitar tech.... they said they intonated it but it was still 15-20 cents sharp

and my bridge has a problem.. it has little or no effect on the intonation of the strings and the saddle on the B moves down if it isnt at least partially resting on the E saddle...
  7. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    The B string is the hardest to intonate because of the thickness. If you don't normally play the open B string (a lot of bassists don't, including me), I would advise you to compensate for the sharpness by tuning it slightly lower than pitch. That way when you play notes on the B string, you are actually playing closer to the pitch. Slight sharpness or flatness are barely noticeable in a song, especially on low notes.
  8. took hard work and some tweakin of the action but i got it down now!

Anyone who touches The Black Beauty dies painfully...:p:):D
  9. A contact core string like Labella SuperSteps will allow you to bring the saddle forward. Personally, I intonate the B to sound in tune from open to 12th fret, as I would never play it above there anyway.