1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B string question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scissor Man, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Scissor Man

Scissor Man

May 7, 2005
    does anyone know the hz of a low b string (tuned to a b, of course)? I'm no amp expert, but I've heard that some amps won't handle a low b because they only go down to 50hz or something. My amp doesn't have trouble with it, but I'm curious because I can't find any guide to string hz or anything similar.

Thanks in advance

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Low B is around 30.8 Hz. However, a lot of what you hear from a bass is not the fundamental; so even if your amp or speaker doesn't reproduce 30 Hz perfectly (few speakers go that low), you will still hear the note just fine.

This should help: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    When you see specs like 45 Hz-18,000 Hz, the upper and lower limits are usually where the output drops by 3 db. It helps to visualize the response curve as well, a curve, or slope, rather than a sheer drop off a cliff.

12bass: Neat chart. I'd found one before that gave the frequency of different notes, and how those notes related to different instruments, but having the wavelength listed is kinda cool as well.

4. I have run it to amps or speakers braking up on the B string
    at high volume. I have a old TKO-80 that will not take the B string but is a good amp with a four string. Also depends on the five string. Most of the time if not playing through my own rig TNT 115 with Black widow in small settings and preamped to a Mackie 2800 for large ones with the band. If playing thru a regular PA.system I will use and Acoustic 5 that is mellow or just play as a 4 string.
    Wink

5. Scissor Man

Scissor Man

May 7, 2005
    Wow, cool info.

Thanks guys