1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B string shootout! Stingray 5 vs. Am. Jazz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 27, 2006.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ok folks, the wife has given me permission to get a new bass and it's down to either a Musicman Stingray 5 or a Fender American Deluxe 5! I need to know, in your opinions, which has the better sounding B string??? Is the the SR5's B modern sounding? Also, I know the string spacing is narrower on the SR5! Is this bass as slappable as the Fender?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. I've heard wonders about the stingray's "B" string ... When Ive played those basses I found I liked the way the b string felt on the stingray but tone-wise the jazz deluxe sounded better.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SR5 wins for me, have yet to play more than a few of the fenders though.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Why is it that everyone seems only concerned with an instruments B string? There are usually four other strings that will probably get played as much or probably more than the B. I'm more interested in the over all tone of a bass than one string. I've played plenty of basses with great B's but nothing else. my choice would be for the Fender for just great tone. The Stingray will probably have the better B as most single pup basses with the pup being located close to the bridge have good B's.

5. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Jun 18, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    SR5, or the puppy gets it.

(seriously though, I much prefered the B string on the SR5 than the Fazz)

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

IMO the B strings on both are strong enough to not worry as mcuh about "how's the B" than do you prefeer jazz basses or stingrays.

7. +1
    By extension, the instruments sound so different that IMO, the overall tone ought to be a big determining factor.

8. SR5's are highly slappable. Absolutle slap machine! Both basses are extremely solid, it just comes down to what you want, a stingray or a jazz :)

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ha! the b string.. maybe on the ray, but nothing has a better d string than my F bass...
    ok, that was a poor attempt at humor.
    seriously, and you know this , Scott - i like the Fender Am Dlx a whole lot! just something about the tone on those things. Other than some of the tones I have heard on some Celinders, the Fender has the J tone i like the most- the MM sounds like just that, very indentifiable sound- they do sound very big, but i prefer the versatility of the J bass with it's 2 pups.

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Because usually, unless you drop some serious digit on a boutique bass with multiple neck laminations, the B sting is often kinda floppy. A very stiff neck is usually required to get a nice B...and as a benefit, those dead spots typical of Fender and Fender-style basses are often corrected as well.

11. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I sold my SR5 in favour of a Fender MIA 2005 Deluxe 5. There is nothing to choose between them regarding the B. I found however that using a tapered B on the Fender is a good way to go, a tapered B on the Stingray was not so good.

I'd forget the B issue, choose the bass which suits you best. I find the Jazz better for slap because of the wider string spacing but that just an adjustment in technique. Personally I prefer the slap tone on the Fender, I found the Ray a bit 'thin' in comparison.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, I asked about the B because a lot of the music my band plays, I use the B quite often! I'm also a Jazz body lover! The string through option and graphite reinforced neck are also attractive! At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards the Fender. I already own a standard jazz and a Marcus Miller sig but both are 4 strings. I own a couple of mid level 5 strings but I'm looking for a workhorse everyday good quality instrument. Thanks for the replys thus far!!

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm not really sure how your post relates to mine, or what dead spots have to do with anything. Stingrays can and do have the same potential for dead spots as a Fender, more-so.

14. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    The SR5 is far and away a better instrument............ build, woods, fretwork, electronics, everything is better..........

and oh yeah... they sound way better as well.....

15. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    If the B string is the most important thing you're looking for in a bass, you gotta think scale.

The basses with the tightest B strings are the 35" scale ones.

The Ray and the Jazz are both 34". I've never tried a 5 strings jazz but I play a SR5 and I totally love this bass and I'm very pleased with the B string even if the D and E on that B string can sometimes be a bit muddy depending on the amp you're playing into.

If money is no problem, I'd suggest you try a Lakland 55-94 wich is a 35" and has a SR5 type pickup along with a J-bass neck pickup.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I briefly owned a 55-01 (same neck profiles as 55-94) and the neck was just a tad bit to wide and long for my taste! I'm just looking for a nice functional B and not a boutique quality B. My other 5's have narrow string profiles which I don't have a problem with and as long as the SR5's neck isn't narrower than any other narrow necked 5 I may still consider it. Reports of unstable necks (read: constantly changing) on the Stingrays kinda make me nervous. Is the graphite reinforced neck on the Fender more stable? That and the string through option make me lean towards the Fender.

17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

18. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    OK, I know you didn't mention this one, but for tone and flexibility, you may want to consider a G&L L-2500. OK, shutting up now... ;)

19. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I owned a Feneder american deluxe 5 a few years back and i'm sorry to say but it was not a good 5 string bass. The b string never felt right to me. I do like the versatility of the jazz bass tone, but as far as a playble 5 stringer, my sr5 is the best one i've had the plesure of owning. And now musicman offers the sr5 with a piezo! I say SR5 and i have owned both and giged both!

20. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    OK, so I take it you have no idea what causes dead spots then...

Ever wonder why dead spots follow a neck around? I've read a few threads here where people have moved necks between different bodies on their bolt-on basses, the dead spots always follow the neck around, not the bodies. It's because the neck is the least rigid part (compared to a body).

It about resonance. For a neck (or body, or anything) to resonate, it must "borrow" inertia (energy) from the string. If the neck has a very high resonant frequency, the note that it "steals" from the string will be very high in pitch, and thus you won't notice it as much of a dead spot.

Why you ask?

Because it takes far more horsepower to make a low note than a high note. You should know this from Bass Amplification 101.

OK, so if the resonant frequency of the neck is very high, while it will steal inertia from the string, it effectively steals comparitively little, because it doesn't take much energy to make that high note, thus the amount of "stolen inertia" is relatively low. Got it?

So...how does this relate to the B string? Because the B is such a low note with so much excursion and inertia, it can easily set a less-than-ideally-rigid neck into motion, resulting in a spongy low B...as well as some rather evident dead spots. Let's say the B is a good litmus test for a neck's rigidity.

So, when you asked why he's looking for a bass with just a good low B, I might argue that if a bass has a good low B, it most probably has a good EVERYTHING ELSE...and little or no dead spots.

That working for ya now, sparky?