1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B String Size

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello All,

I want to buy a new set of strings for my Yamaha BB425X. I am hung up on what size B string to get. What are the differences between a .125 & .130? Tonal & Feel.

Thanks

Shaun

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Generally speaking, the larger the string, the tighter it will feel. Personally I can't stand a floppy B string, so I use nothing smaller than a .135 hex core B string.

I also like the tight, snappy sound that a larger B string delivers.

3. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Your bass is a 35" scale I believe? Go with .135 if you like a tight feel. .130 is usually only about 3lbs difference in tension from a .125.

4. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I think the BB is a 34 scale that strings through the body. I want to use D'Addario XL Nickels. I need the super long set so I can go through the body. I was looking on BassStringOnline site and I need to get a standard 4 set with a .105 E. Then get a single B String. On the site I can only get a .130 B or .145 B.

Shaun

5. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    D'ads come in a .135 tapered or non-tapered. Just Strings has them, I'll bet you can get them from BSOL if you call them. If your bass is a 34", the .130 will be too loose for you. You can go up to a .145 if you like it REALLY tight, but not on 35". Check you scale length first. (Measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double the reading in inches.

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum, lol. I like the B string to of a decent thickness, yes, but I love em floppy. I think they just sound better when they are free to vibrate. .120's are a bit too light for me, but a hex-core .125 or round core .125 or .130 is what I like to roll with. I primarily play fretless, but this is also true of my fretted basses as well.

7. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    If you go with D'Addario XL's, the .145 B is only 41.2 lbs on a 34" scale, so I would even use it on a 35" without worry.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This. I've been using a .150 on a 35" scale for about 3 years now.

That being said, OP, I would try to match it to your E-string size.

If a .095 E, then a .125 B.
    If a .100 E, then a .130/.135 B.
    If a .105 E, then a .135/.140 B.

9. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I bought D'addario Pro Steels .45 - .135 from Jason on Bassstringsonline.

Great Guy to work with, answered all my questions.

Shaun