1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B string tips/tricks/ experienced players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Apr 20, 2010.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Tell me if this is realistic. A Fender 4 string , bolt on neck, 34" scale, strung BEAD , tuned down a 1/2 step, and have the B string not be a floppy mess of poor intonation? Can it be done? I had a Shecter neck thru 5'er that tuned down a 1/2 once and was great.

2. Clumps of mud dropped on a pickup.:meh:

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    A .135 B string will help.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    It's physics. Be more gentle on the B-string than you are higher strings. Just as you're more gentle on the E than the higher strings.

A larger B-string will help, but it will also make your B-string thicker sounding and less clear sounding.

IMHO.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I am using a .105 E string. I can get a .135 B string . Would that be a good match? Also I cold get a .145 B string . Is that way outta the park? I am looking at DR Drop down tuning strings. Anyone have a comment on them?
    http://www.juststrings.com/ddtdrstringsbassguitarsinglestrings.html

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The type of string build matters as well. A hex core string, like the DR Lo Riders, usually have a little more inherent tension. I've never heard of the DR drop down strings, but I'd assume they're hex core as well.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    .135 is the heaviest I've tried, and it works just fine for me.

Also in my experience passive electronics don't seem to reproduce the fundamental of a low b or c very well. You might consider flatwound strings as they tend to have a stronger fundamental and less harmonic content than roundwounds.

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I think I am going to go with the DR Drop Tuning B String in a .130. It is a hex core, I read. I do have SD Quater-pounders on my Jazz bass. With my E string a .105, I think the .130 might be Ok.

9. id say try and get a tapered B string of your desired gauge. with the tapered ball end it sits on the saddle before the thick winding starts and lets the string resonate fully from the break point, where as i find a non tapered string will sound a little empty or dull on a 34"