Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

b string too big

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by blong1, Dec 27, 2000.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    i recently bought a set of strings for a warwick corvette 5 and the b string is too big at the saddle. actually, just past the saddle. if you have seen a warwick, just past the bridge you'll notice that the ball end of the string fits into a slot that holds the string down, as opposed to a hole that you string it through. well the string at the ball end is too big for the slot and i was wondering i could press the string together (vice grips) to try and get it to fit? will that affect my sound since it is only the part that slides in the slot? or damage the string too bad?<p>
    tried to explain it the best i could. sorry if it doesn't make any sense.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You need to order or buy sets with a "tapered" B - a lot of the manufacturers, like D'Addario are making all their B strings tapered now, as this is a common problem.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have "squeezed" the end of a B string with no ill effects.
    Doc

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Although it's possible to find a way to cram that B string into the available space on your bass's bridge,I'd recommend going the tapered route 'cause there are other benefits to this design,such as increased clarity and note definition.

5. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    yeah, the next set of strings that i get will be tapered. i just didn't want to waste a new string if i could help it. i squeezed the string enought to make it fit, and it is holding out...so far.