Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

b string tuned to c? will this hurt my neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thelastofus, Jan 12, 2004.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I have an 83' p bass and my band tunes down a whole step, d,g,c,f then drop the d a whole step so it's c,g,c,f. I really like the sound of DR hi beems but even the largest four string set they have is a little sludgy and slinky. I've always wondered about putting on a b string in place of my e string because b is closer to c then e is, but i've been worried that the added tension would mess up my neck. Anyone done this and will this screw my bass up? Thanks.

PS. the trust rod adjustment is broken on my neck so i cannot adjust my trust rod so it's a big deal if something gets messed up and i can't afford that.

2. Yes, you can use the B string and tune it to a C, you already have less tension on the neck by detuning anyway, so have fun!!!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I can't see it hurting your neck but it may put an additional load on your speakers. Listen for any signs of strain or distortion and back it off if necessary.

4. In my experience, detuned strings sound much different from standard tuned strings. I assume that the detuned strings are going to have the detuned "growl", but the B is going to sound normal. It's worth trying, but your strings will have a slightly different sound between each other.