B string warble on bolt-on 5 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glenn brady, May 16, 2003.

1. glenn brady

glenn brady

Oct 10, 2002
    moderator, or anyone who might know:

is there now (or has there ever been) a thread that discusses B-string warble on bolt-on 5 strings?

on a lot of fender-ish designs i've played, i hear the notes on the B have this funky warble, usually between on the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th frets (Eb, E, F, F#)

the inner sound (core sound) of the note sounds out of tune with itself, while the outer tone sounds in tune with another fixed pitch note (i.e. guitar or piano)

anyone here know what i'm talking about, and if so, how to correct it?

thanks in advance!
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I've had success reducing this effect by doing two things

1. lowering the pickup height
    2. putting a crease in the string where it passes over the bridge saddle (with it not quite tuned to pitch, press down firmly on the string with your thumb, just past the saddle).

The second was more subtle than the first, and I may have just been hearing things. But, the magnetic pull from the pickups can make warbling a lot worse.

This was on a neck-through, btw.
  3. I think that sound has more to do with the string than the bass. I've tried some string sets that had this problem really bad and others that didn't have it at all.
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    What cjazz50 said. For me, this is usually a string problem. And it often varies from set to set, even of the same type of strings.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    One of my favorite 5strings is a bolt on (the Fender Roscoe Beck V) and its not wobbly at all... I hear the MM5's B string is quite tight too
  6. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I recently changed the strings on my pricey J-bass ripoff (I use SR2000 Will Lees), and found I had a warble on the B string above the 7th fret or so. I always keep my last set of strings as backups, so I swapped the new B for my old one. No warble. Not exactly scientific, but there it is. FWIW, I have also read on here that taper cores have this problem more often than non-tapers do.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I had a big problem with some taper-wounds once, yes. Warbles on the B, E, and A strings.
  8. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Never had a problem on the B-string, but I once had a bad warble on a D-string. Sang like a canary, to be exact.
  9. bigbassalex

Oct 7, 2008
    So the problem lies in the strings, and not the frets or neck relief? I have a Carvin LB76 six string, and it has the same problem. Pain in the butt.
  10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    It could be the strings or pickup height.