B string with matching tone and volume

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Major_Rager_4MF, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Major_Rager_4MF

Major_Rager_4MF

Aug 8, 2017
    It's been a few years since I bought strings...

Any new developments in B strings? My past experience is that most Bs have subdued/muffled tone and often diminished volume compared to the other 4 strings in the set.

thanks for any guidance

2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Just posted about the D'Addario Pro Steels.

I just started using the Pro Steels XL160-5s. B string (135) definitely solid and open-sounding with this set.

One thing with B strings is that it's important to set the witness points for a good clear open sound. It's important with all of them, but it seems to be especially so with the B string.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Sometimes that can have more to do with neck stiffness and other aspects of the instrument than strings, but look for balanced tension.
    Stock B strings in unbalanced sets can have much lower tension than the other strings, which makes them feel and sound different.
    Thicker B's have their own issues, but can sound a lot more like the rest of the strings.

Geri O likes this.
  4. 3alfa3

3alfa3

Mar 14, 2016
    Zagreb, Croatia

I use Prosteels as well. If B sounds muffled (like on my Warwick Corvette), Tapered B is Solution - perhaps lighter gauge as well. (I use 1.00 for E, and 125T for B). Tried 125 regular, 130 tapered, but 125 tapered was win for me.
    On my Sire V7, regular 130 B sounds like natural extension to 1.00 E string.
    Go figure! :)

5. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I was just looking at a Pro Steel longer-scale .135 B string for my 35” Mike Lull. Regular scale strings work fine on the bass, but the B string is too short to go through the body and have enough wraps.

Interestingly, that string is available as tapered and non-tapered. I’m about to get one to see if I notice any difference. Based on what you are saying, I think I’ll go with the tapered. Thence.

6. 3alfa3

3alfa3

Mar 14, 2016
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Tapered String brings more brightness/liveliness, as if gauge is lighter, but preserving tension needed.
    Btw, tapered is the same lenght as regular, only on Bridge side there is a difference (tapered is narrower on Saddle)

I tried 130, 125, 130T, 125T for my Warwick Corvette, and 125T is the one i like the most (other strings are 40-60-80-100). That 125T sounds like other Strings on that Bass - perfect match. But on Sire V7 - different Storry - 130 regular sounds good and natural (E is also 100 gauge)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I have no such issues with the newtone strings I use(steel, roundwound, exposed core. The bass is 36''.)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021