"B" strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LumpyGravy, May 19, 2002.

1. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    I seem to have bad luck with LOW "B" strings. I have been using Carvin strings for years. I do like their sound and playability. I recently have had problems with their B strings. They have a bad habit of breaking while installing. I have addressed the company. Their response was free sets of strings. This did not solve the problem. The replacement sets still had faults. I have tried D'Addario, which I will NEVER use again. Similiar problem, but response was nil. Screw them. I do not play them like a ravaged animal(sometimes). This is a relatively new problem. I have been playing 5 stringers for 11 years and 6 stringers for 6 years. I have found that LaBellas are durable. I am not a picky person when it comes to strings, but I have grown quite accustomed to the Carvin thing. I was just wondering if this is a scenerio for other bass players, and would like to hear some feedback. THANX
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never broken a string in 26 years of playing, and I've been using Carvin strings on my Yamaha 5 string for 4 years with no problems. How do they break while installing? Where do they break, at the taper?
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, where are they breaking? your bridge saddle might be set too high.
  4. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Actually the strings have broken at both ends. Mostly at the saddle, but the part that breaks is right where the wheel is. I've had them break at the machine head end, right between the tuners and nut. I am aware of saddle height. I also sanded the saddles in case there were burrs. It's a mystery to me. Good thing I have a 4 string because I can still use my freebies. Thanx for your help.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, step on up to some good strings and put those Carvin/Labella's or whatever they're using these days in the trash.

I've had the strings they sold a year ago which were utterly nauseating. And I've had the newer strings they began using last fall. That set sounded really good and lively....................for about 2 days.

Try spending a few bucks extra for pro grade strings. You get what you pay for.
  6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This is your opinion. IMO they ARE good strings. And, yes, I can afford any strings I want. And since I get paid to play bass I guess that would make the Carvin "pro" strings.
  7. rickbass

You're right - it is "my opinion" just like the overwhelming percentage of TB content. That's all it was and nothing more. If everyone feels compelled to post an "Well, I say it is" retort where there are no facts to counter to every opinion that conflicts with theirs, TB would need 3X more bandwidth and would be awfully boring.

I play professionally, too. But, I never think that makes my opinion any more valuable than anyone else's here.

But my input was for Lumpy - this is Lumpy's thread. Lumpy doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

By the way. that "endorser list" for Carvin strings is mighty impressive...........all they need to do is find someone who uses `em. :D
  8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I never said my opinion was more important than anyone elses, either. I was just responding to your post which seemed to imply that only amateurs would use those strings or think they are good. I wanted to state for the record that there are very experienced people that like them, and you don't speak for all "pro" players.
  9. rickbass

10. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've had people compliment me on my sound many times while using Carvin strings, but I've never had anyone tell me my sound is bad. So I guess they are good enough. And who cares who endorses anything? If they still payed for the strings while endorsing them then it might mean something, but since endorsers usually get their strings for free it is meaningless.
  11. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  12. I've had good luck with D'Addario strings on my 5-string Samick.
  13. rickbass

How about if we quit hijacking Lumpy's thread ???

My ego isn't threatened by the fact that you think Carvin (Labella) strings are the equal, or better, of premium strings.

We could selfishly and pointlessly continue trying to convince each other of our individual points of view ad nauseum.

Without any dis - if you want to feel some vindication of your string choice, and/or, explain why you think Carvin (LaBella) strings are superior to TB'ers who use higher-end strings, my suggestion is to start a new "Strings" thread and leave this one directed to Lumpy's needs.
  14. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Many threads on this board veer far from their original subject, is there a reason this one can't? I'm just stating my (and Bass Players) opinion. Free speech and all... not to mention the fact that you brought this subject up.
  15. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Wow! I didn't anticipate this kind of response. Well anyways, I guess no one shares the same problem as me. That's ok. I am aware of HIGH - END strings, and have used them. I do not think their performance is any greater than my current strings. You guys sound like you would fit in on garageband. If you do not know what it is, it is a site for bands to get their music heard. They have a forum called The Looney Bin. You may find it entertaining. Just don't forget instead of wasting hours upon hours on the computer, pick up that bass and PLAY it. LOUD!!!!!!!!!!
  16. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I used to like Carvin strings alot before they went to the "taper core" design. I believe that GHS made their strings. The BP article I believe was written before they changed theier design. They were very reasonably priced and they worked well with the Warmoth 5-string I had for years. I've played for money also for years, but another poster had the right idea when he said that if a string helps you to get the sound that you hear in your head, then it's a good string no matter what the cost or the pro/amateur standing of the player. BTW, there are MANY advantages to not having to depend on gig money and playing for your own enjoyment or sense of art.

I hate flame sessions, but I'm going to probably throw gasoline onto the fire with this: Many bassists, particularly young ones, keep searching for their dream axe or sound, etc, and spend alot of time and money purchasing PUPS, basses, the latest novelty hardware, or the coolest effect. I have found over many years of experience (and also some expense) that finding a good match of strings for your present instrument will often give you your dream tone. It's sort of expensive to try out different varieties of strings, but it's usually less expensive than continually buying new basses, hardware, etc.
  17. rickbass

I didn't bring "this subject up." I only stated that my opinion is that Carvin strings exhibit the faults common to the cheap strings they are.

You are the one who internalized it as ego-threatening and never gave your opposing opinion any veracity by mentioning your basis for comparison. Instead, you chose to base your credibility on sadly juvenile substance such as, "I get money when I play bass,"....."I have a fat wallet." :rolleyes:

The reason I don't think we should "veer" from Lumpy's original thread is simply - "respect."

Lumpy - My apologies for veering your thread off-course. I'm "10-4." I have too many rehearsals and upcoming gigs to prepare for to continue sniping about bargain-basement strings and obstructing the knowledge you're after.
  18. Just FYI, Bass Player often gives great reviews to products that have a two page spread of advertisement in their magazine. They also test stuff on ridiculously high end gear, like an ESP C-305 through an Aguilar or Eden rig. Even crap strings will sound good on a Sadowsky or a Fodera.

Seeing as my most recent issue of BP has two pages full of Carvin promotion, I'm sure it's not a coincidence that BP like their strings. Those string sales put $$$ in BP's pockets.
  19. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Carvin Strings: I like their tapewounds, but don't particularly care for their ronds or flats. Have you tried DR strings? I think they're very good. I have heard, but have no direct experience, that the La Bella Hard Rocking Steel set has an excellent B string.
  20. Dirty

May 9, 2002
    Golden Colorado
    I've used DR strings on my J-bass for a long time and have had really good luck. I had tried Fender strings and D'Addario strings before that and they didn't give me the sound I was looking for.

Watch out though DR strings are pretty bright when they are brand new.

Also, I've had the tuning head end of my E string break a couple of times when I was using Fender strings on an old Ibenez. I checked the saddle and nut for probs and couldn't find any. I wonder if it has something to do with the break angle of certain head stocks? I really don't know. Just curious if that could cause it.

Hope this helps a little.

Good will towards men and peace on this string.:D