[B]Who is this?[/B]

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by noelbmar, Jan 27, 2009.

1. It's Dreams by Stark Reality

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    John Abercrombie played guitar and Billy Cobham (blood sweat and tears) was on drums, but I can't find anything about who was on bass. Of course I didn't search very hard either. It was a small side project of Abercrombie's released by Stones Throw records if that helps at all in your search.

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Will Lee, according to Wikipedia

4. thanks for the help :D

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Bobby Colomby was on drums in BS&T, however, not Billy Cobham.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have one Dreams album...from what I know/recall, it was a Cobham/Brecker Brothers project.
    Abercrombie is a "guest" on the album I have.
    Doug Lubahn is the bassist.
    I do recall reading a Will Lee interview where he said he came to NYC to audition for Dreams (he was to replace Chuck Rainey...Lee said if had known it was Rainey he was replacing...he would have stayed home).

Anyway, what's on the youtube link is a lot better than what's on the album I have.
    It does sound like Chuck Rainey on the link, though.

*EDIT*
    OK, I'm twisted. All this talk about Cobham & Abercrombie & Will Lee got me thing about a band called Dreams.
    Upon further review, the youtube link is a band called Stark Reality (& the tune in-question is called "Dreams").
    Anyway, AMG was not much help. The album is available at Amazon, though.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, thanks to this thread I just ordered the Stark Reality album & the 2nd Dreams' album (w/ Will Lee).
    Thanks, another $40 gone.

8. bottomend!

bottomend! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    This is a very interesting band and believe it or not, it was assembled to play KIDS music and heres the proof;

" the first seven letters of the alphabet..."

9. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    I love it when a find like this appears out of nowhere. Stark Reality rules! Thanks guys.

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Actually Lee was replaced by Lee.......Lee Sklar in Dreams

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    The Dreams' cd I ordered arrived today (Imagine My Surprise).
    On this recording, Dreams is comprised of the Brecker brothers, Billy Cobham, Will Lee, Don Grolnick, Barry Rogers (trombone), Bob Mann (guitar), & Edward Vernon (vocals).
    Looks like The Brecker Brothers Band with Mann, Cobham, & Vernon added.

My initial reaction? Happenin' album if you're into '60s/'70s R&B. Steve Cropper produced & also played on this album.
    Sounds a bit like early, early Chicago Transit Autority...a little like The Butterfield Blues Band (like the album Keep On Moving).

The Stark Reality album is, supposedly, enroute.

12. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dig that album! I was trying to scan the back cover for this thread, but it didn't work out.
    You can see how that band spidered out into so many other cool units, Billy Cobham band featuring the Brecker Bros then the Brecker Bros etc.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I picked up Now by Stark Reality disc with the above tune ("Dreams"). The album is from 1970.

Stark Reality is a 4-tet, mostly...
    Monty Stark-vibes
    Phil Morrison-bass
    John Abercrombie-guitar
    Vinnie Johnson-drums
    Carl Atkins-sax...on a couple cuts

So, the youtube tune, "Dreams", is Phil Morrison on bass. The cd comes with a nice booklet, each player gets a couple of pages.
    In 1960, Morrison played in a group with Sam Rivers & a young Tony Williams.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021