Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B100R, characteristic of the ampeg sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I played through a B100r a few weeks back, and I didn't really like it. I didn't like the mid coloration. I don't want to start a thread about trhe B100r, it is a good amp, I personally just don't like the tone.

Now the question is, is this the same tone you get from a SVT? I've never been able to try an ampeg head other than the solid state B series. I was just wondering if this was what the rave was about.
    Thanks,

2. It's *similar*, but that's like saying a Pinto is *similar* to a Mustang...

SVTs are a little more midrange-pronounced, more grind and more warmth. Infinitely more power and girth (balls), a "richer" sound IMO.

There are similarities with the sound between the two, but not too many. You really have to A-B the two to see the difference.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've never noticed mid coloration with mine.

I have seen people do some "interesting" EQ tweaks, usually because they don't really understand how to use EQ. I saw one person put the 4 bands of EQ on 5 and push in all of the voicing buttons... because it was louder that way.

On mine, I set the Bass and Treble at 5, both Mids at 3 and leave the voicing switches off. Keep both Gains about the same, use the 0dB input unless the bass guitar is really too hot and I get excellent sound with everything I plug into it.