B100R, characteristic of the ampeg sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I played through a B100r a few weeks back, and I didn't really like it. I didn't like the mid coloration. I don't want to start a thread about trhe B100r, it is a good amp, I personally just don't like the tone.

Now the question is, is this the same tone you get from a SVT? I've never been able to try an ampeg head other than the solid state B series. I was just wondering if this was what the rave was about.
  2. It's *similar*, but that's like saying a Pinto is *similar* to a Mustang...

SVTs are a little more midrange-pronounced, more grind and more warmth. Infinitely more power and girth (balls), a "richer" sound IMO.

There are similarities with the sound between the two, but not too many. You really have to A-B the two to see the difference.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've never noticed mid coloration with mine.

I have seen people do some "interesting" EQ tweaks, usually because they don't really understand how to use EQ. I saw one person put the 4 bands of EQ on 5 and push in all of the voicing buttons... because it was louder that way.

On mine, I set the Bass and Treble at 5, both Mids at 3 and leave the voicing switches off. Keep both Gains about the same, use the 0dB input unless the bass guitar is really too hot and I get excellent sound with everything I plug into it.