Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B100R owners: a few unanswered questions....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElBajista, Jan 15, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    From doing a search on B100Rs, I've found that most people agree that since ampegs moved their manufacturing to the Yelville (sp?) plant, the quality has "improved greatly."

I'm currently shopping for a B100R, and I'd like to know:

1. Is there much of a difference between these amps that were made at the "old" factory and those that are currently being made at the "new" factory? It's located in Arkansas, if I'm not mistaken.

2. How can one tell where a B100R has been made? I believe the serial number would most likely give this away.

Thanks!

2. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I've been a B100R user for over a year now, although I will selling mine soon, but I think you are pretty safe with anything new. I haven't heard a whole lot about these issues you speak of, and quite frankly I don't remember the last time I heard someone complain about one.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What about selling it now? :D

Oh, I've just heard that the QC is better out of the new factory.

4. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Send me a PM, and we shall talk.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've never heard anyone complain about thier B100R...

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You need to check the combo amp megathread, "Pros and Cons of Combo Amps". It's a real eye opener.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    You that there is a B-200R on the way, right.

8. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Where did you here that?

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I guess I missed the part about some older B100R's being poorly made; mine's about 6+ years old, and has suffered thru several years of loud practices and a few shows without stuttering.

I did reread the 'Pros and cons of combo amp' thread and found nothing specifically bad about the B100R. They are about average in weight but I'll agree the handle is kinda goofy. I've never carried a combo that was well designed for carrying. The biggest issue is whether you like that sound specific- it's pretty dark and not for hifi use.

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've had mine for about a year. Got it initially as a practice, chill/acoustic jam type amp & it has quickly become my amp of choice for smaller gigs. Flawless piece of solid state machinery.

11. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If you're still talking about the B100-R, I totally agree. I would LOVE a higher powered version!

12. Pindy

Pindy

Jan 3, 2006
    I just got the B-100R last week and am totally satisfied for what I bought it for. It's a little gem among combo amps and has classic sounds, which is what I wanted, having long outgrown the trebly slap-influenced sound. The build quality on mine is very, very solid, as was the packing job from the factory. I half expected Ampeg to treat their less expensive combo amps like second-class citizens, but the B-100R seems lovingly made. And it doesn't half sound like a Portaflex!

13. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    B-200R - 225 watts, 12ax7 tube in the preamp, 15" and a tweeter.

14. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Dude, you can state all the specs, but where did you hear that?

15. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    According to the 2006 Ampeg pricelist on this website, a B-200R lists for $849.00 and has the features main_sale noted. Nice job, Mr. Sale.

http://www.stlouismusic.com/downloads.html

P.S. It also lists the SVT-VR at healthy $2799.

16. Smallequestrian

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for clarifying that for us.

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow, $100 more for an actual tube preamp and 220 watts.

Something tells me that those are going to be popular. It would be nice if it had a speaker extension.

18. OMG. I want one. Anyone want a deal on a pristine B100R?

19. When did Ampeg move its manufacturing?

FWIW My brother bought a used B-100R in '98 or '99. We both played the hell out of that amp until this fall when he sold it to help cover moving costs to Florida.:( The blue power lamp went out about two years ago. That was the only issue the amp ever had despite being played hard and dripped on when our practice room leaked. That amp didn't even pop when you turned it off.

I currently own a B-100R that was purchased new 2005, and I used to own another that was purchased new in 2003. They both pop(ped) on shutdown. The blue diamond covering isn't applied as cleanly on my current amp as it was on the two others. Other than that I don't notice any differences in performance or sound or anything.

Obviously that's a sample of one. In general I think the B-100 sounds fantastic and it's a good value in a low-powered combo. I cannot wait to play a B-200!

20. The B100R with a tweeter just doesn't seem right...