B100R vs. Rumble100vs????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by savit260, Mar 10, 2006.

1. savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    I've been looking around for a fairly portable combo amp. My preference is for a 15" speaker. A good sounding 12" might not be out of the question, if I could find one that sounded good enough. The rig I currently play through, and have used for years is an old Sunn 200s(60-80 watts) through a SWR Son of Bertha single 15' cab with a Precision bass. Love the sound to death, but I'd like something a little smaller with some kind of D/I. The band plays what used to be called Rock&Roll, but now I guess it falls under the Punk catagory. Thinks similar style to Social Distortion, or the Supersuckers. I like a mildly overdriven tone.
    I've tried out a bunch of combo's and the two so far that have stuck out tone/volume wise are the Ampeg B100R and the Fender Rumble 100. I know apples and oranges. Others that didn't cut it were Ampeg ba115? (awful, like playing into a pillow) Ashdown EB180 and Mag300(boxy sounding) G/K combos, SWR workingman 12/15 combo(no character) Mesa Boogie walkabout scout 12" (too high fi sounding for me not very organic sounding) The Ampeg B100R seems to be about the Max size that I'd find acceptible. This would be used for clubs with a capacity between 100 and 300 so smallish gigs. All have P/A support.
    The pro's of the Ampeg and the Fender is that they both seem to have adequite volume, and easy to get the sound I like out of.
    sounds great
    nice looking
    NO HORN (yes that's a plus for me)
    quality construction.
    Master volume/gian
    no ballanced line out xlr ( has unballanced line out 1/4" so I'd have to use a direct box
    Controls on top, not easy to get at or see on stage.
    A little pricey
    sounds great
    Nice price
    XLR balanced out
    Controls on front of amp easy to get at on stage
    Probably particle board construction
    Can't shut off the horn(I hate those things)
    Not quite as quiet (damned horn agian)

Has anyone gigged with either of these amps? Is the Fenders XLR out of decent quality, or would I be better off using a good D/I box with the Ampeg?
    How about the Roland Cube 100? Can't seem to find one to try out. Anyone have any experience with these or any other suggestions given what I'm looking for in tone.
    Thanks for your input.
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Search! Plenty of info here. I have a b100R, love it. It's small, but heavy. It's not particulalry loud. They are cheap on the used market. The new B200R with tube preamp, and a horn you can attenuate strikes me as very interesting.
  3. savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    I guess the bottome line of my question is how does the 1/4" line out vs the XLR balanced line out on these two amps stack up agianst one another. I've read lots about the amps themselves on here, but very little on how these amps perform when D/I to a P/A. Or are there any other similar sounding/size/featured amps that I may have overlooked? Is the quality on the Fender inferior to the Ampeg? Does anyone know if the Fender is particle board?
  4. I've had a B-100R for several years, and I gigged with it exclusively. I only ran into trouble at outdoor festivals, where it was woefully underpowerwed, but it was miked at one, and I ran direc & used the Ampeg as a monitor at the other. So no real problem, actually.

I want to chime in on the controls location... I think that it's a bonus that they're on top. The B-100R isn't exactly a big, tall combo... unless you put it somewhere over your head, the control panel should be at about knee-level. All you have to do is lean over to make adjustments, not kneel or look sideways or anything. I think having them on top is actually a bonus. And DI boxes aren't too much, so that would solve your XLR problem (which Ampeg's fixed with the B-200R).

I was never disappointed with the tone of it, and everyone who heard it seemed to love it too. If only they came out with the B-200R awhile ago... I could use the extra 220 watts!
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Consider checking out the Fender Bassman 150.
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    On the B100 ... I've plugged a $15 transformer into the Line out and dropped that into a PA. Not as elegant as a true DI but it seemed to work ok converting unbalanced to balanced.

I imagine the B100 is particle board; never checked.

I set the knobs and leave them alone; works good.

If you don't like a horn on an amp, you can probably just unplug the wires from it.
  7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I used the line out of the B100R and plugged it into our PA. It worked fine and the bass sounded great in a large hall.
  8. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i own a B100R, i think its a great amp and i only gig with it.

can't really provide any insight on the line out question of yours, sorry.

but you did forget one con with the B100R: one poorly placed handle, doh! :spit:

9. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I agree. What this amp needs is two recessed handles in either side.
  10. You guys are making me second guess my decision to upgrade to my SWR WM 2x10C! However I technically still own my B-100R, since it's still on consignment at a local store.
  11. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Those Fender combos have totally wimpy speakers and power handling. I'd stay away unless your end goal is enough juice to cover 20 people in a library. There are a thousand other options that get discussed here regularly that will do the job cheaper and better. The only positives you'll hear on a fender combo are from people who haven't played much else.

bigfatbass will now duck the incoming flames. ;)
  12. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I've used the B-100 a few times (mostly rehearsals) and think it's great for the size/price. I have a Fender rumble 60 which is also great for the size/price, but I don't think they're on the same playing field. The rumble series seems to be more of an entry level kind of amp, and the B-series a small working musicians amp. A more fairhanded comparison, in my opinion would be the B-100 vs a similar sized Bassman series (if they make one).
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here. Worked fine.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They are built with the option for wheels. I move mine on the same Kart-a-Bag handcart I move everything else with. No problem.
  15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I love the Ampeg. I bought casters and a cover from Fliptops.net.
    An outboard preamp with an XLR out will work great. The MXR M-80 for $135 drives the little wonder with much more gain to make it sound much larger than it should. :hyper: :hyper:
    A recent trip to GC to try the bigger Ampeg heads/cabs convinced me to keep the B100r. It sounds better to me.:D :D
  16. savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    I may have solved my problem about a portable set up with out spending any money. As and expiriment, I ran my Sunn 200s into a Boogie 1x12 guitar cab(EVM12L) I had occationaly used as a second cab with my 1x15(SWR Son of Bertha). It had a 1/2 open back, so I closed most of it up leaving about 1" all the way across the back as a port. Tossed in some of that accoustic insulation that I had laying around. The thing sounded great by itself in practice, so I took it to the show Friday night. The sound man couldn't say enough about how great the rig sounded. He's a bass player himself. Mic'ed it with a SM57 and ran a D/I infront of the amp as well. Funny thing was that he heard me warming up and stuck the mic in front of the 1X15+4X10 monster next to my rig. He couldn't believe all that sound was comming from my little 12. The only downside is sticking a D/I in the signal path between the bass and amp.

I'm still considering a combo of some sort, but man, this little set up worked great .... and the sound guy was in love wtih it.