1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B15. Awesome for records or trendy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitespike, Apr 14, 2009.

1. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Don't chop my head off, but I am just curious. Do you find the B15 to be better than higher powered tube amps for recording ... than, let's say, an Ampeg V-2 or V-4 or SVT? Or do you find it's lack of low end and lack of volume before-farting out to be bothersome?

The reason I ask, is because I have wanted one for a long time, but I recently got a V-4 for recording and live situations. I was wondering if you find the regular tube head + cab a better fit for recording.

Either way, I want one...

2. You dont really want high volumes when recording in a studio, which is what is great about the B15. Also, the 'lack' of low end, isn't really a problem with recordings.

I want one too, why are they so damned expensive . . . well, I know why, but it doesnt make it fair :p

3. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    In a few of my instructional books on session work and in-studio, they say that the B-15 is pretty much the only amp to use.

However, they also say that going direct with a Countryman, Avalon, Demeter, or Tubeworks preamp is mandatory at a minimum, but if you have the channels and a producer who is willing, using the B-15 with some direct and off-axis mic placement is ideal.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    when something is used that long, it's not a trend

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You can get an entirely acceptable recorded sound through your V4 and a decent cab. The B15 is just a proven recording tool, so they are always going to be in demand.

6. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    A lot of sessions have been done with the B-15, but a lot of them gave been done with the SVT/fridge combo, GK and many other heads. Plugging straight to the board gave some of the most definitive bass tones out there too (Jamerson anyone?) It really depends on what circles you are in and who you are working for or working with (two very different situations).

I'd wager that you'll see a lot more B-15's in country and blues than in metal or hard rock. But after half a century, it has proven to not be a trend. Disco was a trend. These amps are not.

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Last time I recorded it was through a V4+810fridge and it was massive. The cab was isolated in it's own room and I also had a direct line running simultaneously.

B15's deliver, but the V4 will also do the job nicely.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm not sure where the lack of low end thing comes from. Maybe it doesn't do 28 hz like a 410 HLF, but who needs that in the studio? Or for that matter, live work?

I love my B-15's but they're certainly not necessary to make a great recording. A V4, V4B or an SVT are absolutely great studio tools, too.

9. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    ...why not both!! I used a B-15 for the country/gritty songs on my record, and an SVT for the rockers/pop songs.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The first time I played through my B-15 I almost pissed my pants. It was that good. Then again, at my age, that happens all the time. Maybe it wasn't the amp after all :p.

If an amp's tone inspires you to play better, then it's a good thing.

If you're playing with a loud band live in a studio, it may or may not give you what you need.

I often overdub the bass with a combination of a Mic and DI towards the end of the recording process so what I use just has to sound good. It doesn't need to keep up.