B15 speaker help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harrison Wagner, Apr 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Keep all original - use only for the studio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Re-cone

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Drop new speakers in

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    Hello all, I just got this new Ampeg B15-NC. It sounds fantastic at low volumes, but when turned up a bit the speakers seem to be giving out and distorting(It's not the amp). Do you think I should keep the original speakers as is and use it just for recording in the studio, or should I get the speakers reconed, or should I drop new speakers in (if so which speakers)? will reconing hurt the value? I've got plenty of ampeg gear but I'm new the the B15 game. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you kind TBers in advance!
    -Harrison

Attached Files:

2. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I have one of those cabs at home but mine is really beat and it too sounds kind of flabby, I'd either get them re-coned or buy new ones. I just saw one of those with a B-15S head somewhere for sale.

Harrison Wagner likes this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    For advice and options on something like this I would page TB member @JimmyM and ask him to pick up the white courtesy phone in the lobby...but that's just me... :thumbsup:

bassdude51 likes this.
  4. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    Thats a great suggestion. I'll see if he chimes in soon, if not I'll go ahead and shoot him a PM. Thanks for the help thus far. I value all of your input as I want to do right by the amp and keep it as original as I can.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Is it one or both speakers? If you replace one you’d probably want to do both. For budget friendly and good sounding an eminence beta or delta 15 will work in these cabs. I like the beta better, I think jimmy likes the delta, but that’s also in the double baffle cab design. I think the column amps were single baffle and I’ve only played a single baffle with the stock speaker/only swapped speakers in a double baffle.

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    That's a very rare 1967 revision!

In general, unless it's a museum piece, any maintenance done to restore the amp to it's original spec will not hurt the value. But rather than recone, you would be better putting in a pair of Eminence Delta 15A's. Yes, change the pair as Corey suggested.

Are you sure it is not the amp? Have you ruled out something buzzing within the cab? Could be a dried gasket, a loose fastener, a wire or tinsel vibrating, loose wood in the baffle or the speaker cutout, etc. A long list of possibilities. I'd stear by removing the speakers and testing them outside of the cab. This will help narrow it down. Test the amp going into another cabinet. I assume that you've done that already.

7. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    @coreyfyfe yes it is both speakers that distort at the same time.
    @beans-on-toast I have tried the amp with other cabs and it doesn't seem to be the problem. I haven't thought of or ruled out the other potential problems you mentioned. It does sound very similar to blown speakers I have had in the past though. I'll try to test the speakers like you suggested though. Thank you both for the speaker recommendations. Perhaps I'll drop new speakers in and keep the originals on the side.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    I took a picture of one of the speakers. Usually when I've had blown speakers you can see the cracks in the cone, but this cone looks perfect to me. Is it possible to have a blown speaker but not show visible signs? Maybe something is loose and needs to be tightened. Is it safe to play the speaker without the top on? It wouldn't be sealed anymore. I would just like to see if the speaker is blown or if it's a different problem.

Attached Files:

9. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    Ok scratch my last post... I went ahead and tested out the speaker alone and it's definitely blown. The cab seems solid. Now the only question left is recone or new speakers. The delta 15s sounds like a great idea for new speakers but unfortunately they come in at 8ohms each and I need a total load of 8ohms so those don't work. Any other 16ohm speaker that's a good replacement?

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Really great amplifier, it's got twice the power of the same B-15N from that period around 50 watts, since they used the B-18N head instead of the B-15N(F) head. The guys are right, if you want a reasonable replacement then go with the Delta's.

Ampeg probably offered an upgrade with a pair of Altec Lansing 421A's but that's probably not going to sound as good as the newer Eminence's will.

11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Delta's come in 16 ohms.

12. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    Ok that sounds like the move. Is the Eminence Delta - 15B 15" driver 16ohm speaker the same as the eminence delta 15 8ohm speaker? Just different ohms?

13. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    You answered my question before I could even get it out lol. Thank you guys so much for your help I really do appreciate it.

14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 5.09.30 PM.png Parts Express Has Them.

15. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    Perfect! I am correct that I need 2 16ohm speakers though right?

16. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    Well here's my experience: The Eminence Delta 15's do sound "great", but on a "standard b-15 (with only one) - they fart out for me. I have a new one I'll be sending back to Parts-Express ... maybe I'll splurge and try the Faital ... but I almost REALLY love the 421 ... it's a true ROCK set-up .. just a bit muddy.

I want that power handling of the 421, and that overdrive ... but without the fart of the Delta.

17. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I recently dropped a new Delta 15 in my 1964 and experience no farting whatsoever, either bodily, or from the cabinet—that is how effective this speaker is! I'm still feeling the love and it is a GREAT speaker for a B15N. Worth a listen for sure.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Delta 15 has more than enough power handling under any conditions for the B15N or any variant of the B-15.

That’s not the OP’s issue, I’m sure.

600 Ohms likes this.
  19. I just love that amp. My all time favorite 2/15 pairing is with Altec 421 8H speakers. I don’t know if I still have 2-15” Jensens somewhere but back in the day they would have been swapped out with JBL or Altec.

20. Harrison Wagner

Harrison Wagner

Dec 10, 2018
    Update: I did infact drop in the deltas and the same problem persisted, then got the adapter to plug the amp into my 810 and still had the same problem. Once the volume got the point where the power tubes were really pushed, it made a bad sound, not like the beautiful tube breakup that usually happens. Got the amp services by Andy at revamp in LA and still had the same problem. I'm at a loss as to what to do, but I'm very happy with the sound of the amp at lower to medium volume, which is more than enough for most of my applications. If I need something with some distortion, a B15 probably wouldn't be my first choice anyway.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022