B15 Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tobias Wilcox, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Im looking to get near to a B15 tone with a head or pre-amp, probably without going all tube. Prefer a head to use with cabs for bigger stages.

Used to get very close with a VT into the return of a 700RB-II but no longer have either.

Any suggestions for a head or pre set up? I know there is the VTRM but want to get away from separate power amps if i can

2. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Well for the best pre you can get a Broughton P-15 if you can find someone selling it or Josh ever makes anymore. Plus it can double as your DI.

jnewmark likes this.
  3. Not needing to go as far as a P15, just want to be in the ball park with a head

10cc likes this.
  4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    VT 500? Not sure how many watts you're needing, but it was my first thought after reading the quote above.

5. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    The Arkham Zephyr can get you really close too. It can also sound much like an SVT.

6. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    A significant component of B15 tone comes from the cabinet, so cab selection will be critical in achieving you objective.

10cc and DaveDeVille like this.
  7. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany
    One way to get this B-15 tone is to use a EBS T90
    image.jpg

or a Ampeg B25B
    image.jpg

Both amps are really close to that B-15 sound!

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Please note that the OP is in England and thus may have limited access to the more esoteric equipment we have available over here in the Americas.

9. Lovep

Lovep

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ampeg V4B or PF50-T and Ampeg PF115HE - modern day B15!

punchclock likes this.
  10. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Arkham Zephyr is to be close to a b15. Although I never had a chance to compare it is a great preamp that I use with a quilter bb800.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022