B15n advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Campbell, Sep 8, 2010.

1. there is a cabinet here with a working altec with the amp missing for 175 bux.....looks not too bad cosmetically......would it be practical to restore or is tracking down the head going to be a costly holy grail type quest....pix on winnipeg kijiji

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    you see orphaned heads occasionally. but even if you never find one, it's still a great little cab.

3. i guess i'll go have a looksee.....

4. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    May not be a bad idea. Can't imagine they're very common in Winnipeg. Orphaned heads pop up more than you would think. I imagine shipping a head is easier/cheaper than the head+cab

5. i've imported amps before,and it's not too bad....i just want a realistic cost......once you get to a certain point you may as well just buy a complete unit....much as i'd like one a complete b15 costs as much or more than a few vintage svt's i've seen

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    From the pic on kijiji, I think that it is more from around 1967. It looks like a single baffle cabinet as outlined here (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9630884&postcount=20).

Some folks find that the earlier double baffle cabinets or the later thiele based models are more desirable.

The Altec is a very nice speaker with the B15. It could serve as an extension cabinet if you find a complete B15 down the road.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021