1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B15N modifications - again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Judgeman1999, Apr 4, 2018.

1. I do not want to offend anyone by starting a new thread on an old topic...BUT....

Here’s the deal. I have a 1978 B15 N. I know that everyone claims that it’s the best amp ever and that no one should attempt any modifications, but as I have said before, people still think that the Studebaker was a good car.

Anyway, although the design is simple, Classic, and efficient (much like the tilt legs and screw on heads in the old Bassman amps), 30 Watts and an old CTS speaker just don’t make it for playing out.

So, although I would never discard the parts that I plan on changing out, I ask:

1. Has anyone ever tried to attach a new Ampeg amp to the flip top from this vintage?
    2. What replacement speaker would you suggest to handle the additional wattage?

Thanks - JMM

2. Not sure what you have in mind here, are you thinking of using something like a PF-50T or a PF-500 with the B-15 cabinet? It's probably not helpful if that's the path you've chosen, but I can't see any upside to the approach. Personally, I'd look for a late model used amp and a modern portaflex cab, it might not be much more than buying the parts for converting the existing cabinet. You could always sell the B15 (to me ;)) and come out with more than enough cash to buy a new modern portaflex rig.

Omega Monkey and RoadRanger like this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    :wideyed:

4. In order to use the b15 cabinet standalone you’ll need a lid to close the amp slot. The driver has a low power rating so likely you’ll have to change that if you can find a suitable more powerful driver.

I’d never consider using mine on a gig. It simply does not have enough power for my needs. It is, however, a wonderful practice amp. :D

5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Soooo, you just like the wood bits, then?

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    ^ :wideyed: