Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2-R Underpowered?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shakedawg, Jan 16, 2005.

1. shakedawg

shakedawg

Jan 1, 2005
    I've been playing through a B2-R with an Accoustic 2x15 cab and the thing nearly knocks our rhythm guitarist into the back wall of our practice space. Both guitarists, lead and rhythm play Marshall JCM-800
    and the BR-2 has no problem keeping up. Granted that we don't play sport arena size gigs(maybe the size of the bathrooms in a sports arena) never the less we play pretty loud and no problems with volume or power.

2. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Doesn't that cab have a 2ohm impedance rating? Or am I wrong?

3. shakedawg

shakedawg

Jan 1, 2005
    I am not sure I'll check and get back to you, Still learning about ohms,watts,resistance and what have you. So far just turn up and play.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If so, that B-2R isn't long for this world, as it's not rated for 2-Ohms (the Ampeg page for the B-2R is down, but the one for the SVT-350H - which is the identical amp - is up and it confirms no 2-Ohm rating).

In any case, perceived loudness in a given setting and speaker efficiency are different issues from amp output.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Most Acoustic cabinets were 4 ohms. Only the later Model 408, the 4x15 cabinet, was 2 ohms. Of course, it could be anything if the speakers have been replaced or reconed.

I'll bet that setup sounds great...I love the tone of the B2-R (and SVT-350H). :bassist: With less efficient, wider frequency response modern cabinets, the B2-R becomes under powered.

I hope that you're wearing ear plugs...if not, PLEASE start before it's too late.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    As a serious ear casualty, I second that.

7. shakedawg

shakedawg

Jan 1, 2005
    How do I find out if this cab is 2 ohm, this sucker looks old and there isn't any info on the back of it(aka, a little metal plate with specs)

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you have access to a multimeter, plug in a speaker cable and then measure the resistance between the tip and the sleeve. The impedance of the cabinet will be a little bit higher than the DC resistance... If you measure something less than 4 ohms, it's a 4 ohm cabinet, something above 4 but less than 8, it's an 8 ohm cabinet.

Which model is it? If it's not marked can you post a picture or describe it?

BTW, if the speakers have white domes (but black cones), they may be the original speakers.

9. shakedawg

shakedawg

Jan 1, 2005
    Gonna borrow a multimeter from a friend this week. The Cones are white and I did find a tag on the bottom of the cab that says 215B, mean anything to you

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If you are still around 215B sounds like it is a Sunn 2x15 which is 300watt @ 8Ohms If I'm correct

11. What is the problem here? You seem like you enjoy your B2-R + cab combinations... what is your question actually?

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Apparently, he was trying to support the B2R against the many claims that it is week, feeble, and inferior.

Sure hasnt changed my mind... I remember when that thing couldnt lift me beyond a CRATE combo amp :meh:

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My guess is that a B2-R would be a great match for an old school 2x15 loaded with efficient speakers like EVMs, JBLs or Altecs.

The older design cabinet would prevent low frequency response from eating up the B2-R's limited output power and the Ampeg midrange prowess would cut through wonderfully...

14. shakedawg

shakedawg

Jan 1, 2005
    i was trying to support the B2R against the many clames that it is week, feebul, and infearyer. Just saying if it sounds good over two gitar players that are in a constint pissing contest, run with it. its a deel and sounds good. oh yeah it is a 300w,8ohm. This set up will knock your doodad in the dirt.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The current B-2R is 200W @ 8Ohms.

The new version will be more, but it's not out yet.

16. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Actually, its not a deal at all.... $550 brand new for 350Watts max power. Lots of money.... LOW resale value... not much headroom. The tone is decent I guess, but nothing I couldnt achieve with a much cheaper preamp.

If I wanted a head in the 300Watt range (which I doubt I would, with the music I'm into), I'd get an Ashdown MAG. And it'd probably be louder than the B2R, while only costing me $300 new.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Those old speakers are woefully low in their power-handling capacity. JBL D-140s are only good for about 75W, peak, and I don't think the others are much over that. I've got a pair of them in a vintage 2x15" Sunn that goes with a 2xKT88 Sorado bass head that probably puts out a max of 70WRMS. Loud, sure, but a B-2R/SVT-350H would blow them to smithereeens.

I've got a guy trying to sell me a vintage 2x15"/4Ohm SVT cab with Altec-Lansings, and I'm probably going to pass because I'd have to buy new speakers to make it work for me. :(

18. shakedawg

shakedawg

Jan 1, 2005
    Chariot, you are right, brand new not a deal. But searching on craigslist and finding it used I scored a great deal,that is where the resale value works to an advantage. I guess you didn't pick up on the grammer joke.
    Bonglolation,
    I meant that the cab was 300w 8ohm.
    I guess it is what works for what each individual.
    if the shoe fits, wear it.

19. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    That Chariot guy is tough! :D (But into amps and that is totally cool).

I picked up my B2R for $200 used. It needed the fan sensor fixed (cost less than $20). It is pretty nice (IMO), a good tone that sounds very similar to the SVT-III Pro (especially in the mix).

I purchased an Ashdown Mag 300 from an online retailer when they first came out. I love the Ashdown ABM stuff, so I figured I would try it out without much monetary investment.

Up against the B2R, the Ashdown seemed lifeless. It was warm, but just not "there". Maybe Ampeg is wetter, but the Ashdown didn't beat it in my tests. The Ashdown was returned.

Ampeg stuff is priced on the high side IMO. Still, it ain't bad, and no one ever got fired for showing up with Ampeg.

PS. Run the master of the B2R at 10 and then adjust your volume with the pre amp-it works well.

Lync

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm surprised they can even sell them at those prices. ;)