Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2-RE or SVT-3 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    It seems to me that *all* Ampegs seem to have the "Ampeg" signature tone - at least to some degree, and I like it. I've been thinking about either the B2RE or the SVT-3 PRO to use with my 410HLF. Can the SVT-3 PRO sound like the B2RE? I don't understand that "tube gain" knob - never tried one out. If you have the "gain" and "volume" knobs turned up, and the "tube gain" turned all the way down, could it sound as clean as the B2RE? I guess what I'm asking is: Would the SVT-3 Pro be more versatile than the B2RE, but be able to clean up as much as the B2RE?

Skel

2. The B series is made cheaper than the PRO series. The PRO is louder, too. I don't think that you will have problems with overdrive.

If you can afford it and you are just deciding between the 2, get the SVT.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, I'm figuring that the SVT-3 Pro is the best selling Ampeg head...there must be reason for that. I think what I'm going to do is, return my SVT Classic (still within 30 days at GC) and probably the 4X10, and get an SVT-3 Pro and an SVT-610HFL. Hopefully that will make me happy. I'll still have a V-4BH to mess around with the "all tube" sound if I want.

Everybody else's tone is great except for mine!

Skel

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What was wrong with the Classic?

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I could be wrong, but I think the Classic might be the "happiest" when used with an 8X10, which is just too much to lug around. Seems like it just overtakes my 4x10HLF cab. There's really nothing wrong with it at all, but I just prefer the crisper, cleaner sound of a SS power amp section. I'm sure it will go into my list of "why in the hell did I get rid of that?" amps, but Oh well.

Skel

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Skel I am not even going to suggest which setup is best for you, but I am going to congratulate you on the decision to try different setups before you commit. that is very smart.

The tube gain on the 3 pro is not an preamp overdrive. It is a voltage attenuator for the power amp's driver tubes. When it all the way down, the amp is very sterile sounding & when its all the way up the amp sounds full and rich IMO. the beauty is the tube gain is adjustable so you can decide for yourself what setting sounds best. But even with the tube gain all the way up, the 3 pro is a very clean sounding amp compared to the SVT CL.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey - thanks for the great info on the tube gain. This amp must sound pretty killer, and with the 6X10 - whoa! I won't have the Classic, but I'll still have the V-4BH for an all tube sound.

Skel

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't want to confuse things, but, the 3-Pro and 410HLF are like made for each other. I don't know how long you have on the 30 days left, but if you can try those 2 together. That's what I played till I switched to Eden. (Why, more power. Loved the sound. Almost cried when I sold it.)

9. I use an SVT 3 Pro with a Schroeder Mini 12. The best compliment I can give any amp is that it sounds rich and warm at a low volume and gets better as you crank it. If you get your bridge pickup sound going, it will have as much grunt and gain as you will ever need.

10. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Skel,

I have both combinations, an SVT Classic sitting on an 810 and an SVT-3 Pro paired with a 410HLF. The Classic does seem happiest with the 810 cabinet. However, it doesn't leave the house unless I take a lot of vitamins, work out for a while, or have an outdoor gig... :) I used the CL with the 410 for awhile, but had problems getting the sound I wanted dialed in.

+1 on the SVT-3 Pro coupled to the 410HLF! Like others have said, this pair works great! The horn and expanded frequency response of the 410HLF coupled with the SS power section, graphic EQ, and tube preamp of the SVT-3 Pro made it easy to get the tones to cover the wide range of sounds I needed. Varying the tube gain does clean up the sound nicely. THe 610HLF will move a little more air, but I'd give the SVT-3 Pro with the 410HLF a try first.

Randy

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Thanks for the great info. I guess I will try the SVT-3 Pro with my 410HLF first. I hate to be nit-picky and it seems like I'm going through a lot of amps, but like I said, the SVT-3 Pro is the best selling Ampeg, and there must be a reason. I was thinking about the "tube gain" control - seems like this is kind of a "THD HotPlate", but for a SS power amp...that's puzzling, but as long as it sounds good, I don't care what it does.

Skel

12. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm in the same predicament. Expect right now I'm running the B2rR and am going to buy a 410HLF soon and upgrade to the SVT-3 PRO in the future. That is the best sounded combination I've played and love it. I played the B2RE through the 410HLF at Guitar Center and it sounded pretty good as well but the SVT-3 Pro sounded great to me. There was just so much more control over the sounded than with the B2RE

13. xstraightXedgex

xstraightXedgex

Jan 27, 2006
    yea i have the svt3 pro on top of the 410hlf and it sounds amazing. the lows from the cab are great. i keep the horn off, and boost the volume on the eq to get the most volume from the amp. i compete in a metal/hardcore with 2 half stacks and a loud drummer and i can still hear myself fine.:D

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Wow - you guys are convincing on the SVT-3 Pro. I know there are some players here that wouldn't go near an Ampeg, and to each his own - but for any kind of good, loud drummer, cranked up Marshall type band, I can't think of anything that comes close to Ampeg.

Skel

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Stop thinking about it so much & just go listen ;) :D your thoughts about the hot plate are off base, but I am not a tech so this is as best as I can 'splain it. the preamp tube stage is followed by the driver tube stage (tube gain) and then the mosfet power amp stage. The preamp tubes are always on & you use the tube gain to adjust exactly "how much" of the driver tubes you want to add into your sound. It definately colors the sound & I like it.

Some advice is you need to stay away from the ultra low button on the 3 pro. The 3 pro has plenty of balls if you dont scoop out all the mids. If you like the 3's tone & want more power, there is the 6 pro.

The downside of using a 3 pro with a 4 ohm cab is you cant add more cabs. But you can always slave an additional power amp if you ever needed to.