1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B200R - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thedavide, Aug 26, 2007.

1. thedavide

thedavide

Mar 5, 2007
    This is my first post in the amp forum so a quick hello to everyone.:)
    My first introduction post can be found here.

I have a B200R which I happen to like very much. It has a nice warm vintage tone and works well with my Jaguar. The problem is when I turn the gain and the volume up to 75%, I start to get what seems to be buzzing and strange vibrations coming from the cabinet. I know for sure it comes from the cabinet because I removed the head from the combo and then played through it. I tried turning the bass down on the EQ but it only helps slightly.

Is it the speaker or the cabinet or both that is causing this. Is this normal with all B200R, B100R's or is it just mine. By the way, the speaker isn't farting out, just buzzing that becomes noticeable when hitting the lower notes on the E string.

I'm starting to wonder if I should bring it in.

Thanks

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If I push either of my B-100R(s) that hard, they don't sound very good either.
    (I used to run both my B100R(s) simultaneously, because one wasn't loud enough for my bands)

Your combo might be defective, (cabinet-rattle/defective-speaker/amp section problem) but it kinda sounds like you might just be asking it to preform past its ability.
    Does backing off on the gain knob, and pushing the master higher help this problem any? (or viceversa)

If you want to get the most overall volume out of any amp, you may find that boosting mids past half-way, and keeping the bass knobs (amp and active-bass) at or under the half way point helps a bunch.
    (Mids tend to cut through well and using lots of bass eats up your available headroom very fast)

Another thing that helps a bunch when playing combo's (or small bass cabs) is to elevate them up closer to your ears instead of pointing them at your ankles... :)

Good luck and let us know what you find or decide the culprit is...

3. jbassbob

jbassbob Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I used to have the B100r and experienced the same issues. I had picked it up used and just thought that was the way it is. After a while I decided to see if I could correct the problem. I found that air escapes from the hole in which the wire runs from the amp to the speaker. I stuffed a piece of foam in the hole and I was able to fix some of the problem. Though in my case I also found that air was escaping from the caster plugs in the bottom of the cabinet. I took them out and filled the little slots left by the shaping of the metal with silicone and wha-la all the mysterious sounds vanished! And Welcome to TalkBass!

4. thedavide

thedavide

Mar 5, 2007
    This is my gut feeling also. It still sounds very good when I have the gain at 7 or 8, with the master at 5 or 6. It also sounds good if the gain is at 5 and the master goes to 7 or 8. I eq the bass down to 3, the low mid to 4 or 5, the high mid sits at 5 or 6 and the treble sits at 6. But it sounds amazing when the gain is at 5 or 6 and the master is at 5 or 6.

I'm curious, has anyone run the head into a better cab? Perhaps a 4x10 or just a better built 2x10 or 1x15 like a Mesa Vintage Powerhouse or a Bergantino. I'm wondering if a better cab would let that smooth vintage tone come through at higher volumes.

Thanks for the replies.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Funny you mention that, because I have.
    I've ran my B-100R amp sections into quite a few other cabs, and also used them as a cabs, powered by serveral other heads. My B-100R amp section powering a Bergantino NV610 was definitely louder, but I wasn't impressed enough to ever try it again.

I think Ampeg did a very good job pairing the amp to the cab on this combo and using the other cabs just didn't give the same mojo... Now my SVT powering both my B-100r cabs is truly breathtaking.

Note: you must disconnect the combo's internal speaker-(4 ohm), before connecting its amp-(4-ohm minimum load)
    to another cab. An 8 ohm cab would work, but your cabs total ohm load should be 4-ohms to get the full power out of this amp section. (never go lower than 4-ohm with this combos amp)

And, If you do this mod, (W/O making it reversible) you'll probably void your warranty.

I modded both of mine with speaker plugs/jacks like this (W/O drilling any holes)
    3-ft cord and male plug goes to the speaker.

DSCN1415.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Air leaks are a definite possibility.

You hear about air leaks, and you are tempted to say "yeah, sure, a little hole in the cabinet is gonna make THAT noise?"

But it is surprising the amount of noise and distortion sound that airflow through holes can make.

7. Jerrold would know, having been our "Ampeg Insider" for the longest time! (Hope things are going well, Jerrold. Good to see you.)