B2R fan is loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Zoidberg, May 29, 2005.

1. I'm starting to buy my own rig (well just a head and cab) and I just bought an Ampeg B2R. I got it for $350 on eBay and it is in very good condition. so it seems..

When I turn the amp on (not plugged into a cab), the fan starts going right away, and is fairly loud. Is this normal? Am I just being dumb and overanalyzing this?

I haven't had the chance to play it through a cab in a quiet room, so I can't tell if the noise is noticeable.

I've searched quite a bit but haven't found anything helpful on this "problem".

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, it's pretty common - your amp's probably OK. I've heard a pretty good number of new B2R and 3Pro owners express surprise at the noise the fan makes. I've even heard of a few who've tried to lubricate the fan to knock the noise down a bit.

Truth is, when you're playing at decent volume, you won't hear it. And having plenty airflow through your amp is a GOOD thing.

If it's REALLY bad, though, and seems to be stuck on high speed all the time, you may want to have it checked out by a tech.

3. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, that fan produces an ungodly racket, even brand new. I don't know if it's the same fan & circuit in the B-2R/SVT-350H as in other Ampegs or not, but this one definitely makes a racket and it seems to be on all the time.