Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2R fan is loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Zoidberg, May 29, 2005.

1. I'm starting to buy my own rig (well just a head and cab) and I just bought an Ampeg B2R. I got it for $350 on eBay and it is in very good condition. so it seems..

When I turn the amp on (not plugged into a cab), the fan starts going right away, and is fairly loud. Is this normal? Am I just being dumb and overanalyzing this?

I haven't had the chance to play it through a cab in a quiet room, so I can't tell if the noise is noticeable.

I've searched quite a bit but haven't found anything helpful on this "problem".

thanks

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, it's pretty common - your amp's probably OK. I've heard a pretty good number of new B2R and 3Pro owners express surprise at the noise the fan makes. I've even heard of a few who've tried to lubricate the fan to knock the noise down a bit.

Truth is, when you're playing at decent volume, you won't hear it. And having plenty airflow through your amp is a GOOD thing.

If it's REALLY bad, though, and seems to be stuck on high speed all the time, you may want to have it checked out by a tech.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143689

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, that fan produces an ungodly racket, even brand new. I don't know if it's the same fan & circuit in the B-2R/SVT-350H as in other Ampegs or not, but this one definitely makes a racket and it seems to be on all the time.