Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2R low volume; myth or fact?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Feb 27, 2004.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I'm looking at new heads, and seem to be zeroing in on the Ampeg B2R. I like the idea of getting Ampeg because of my proximity to their home base (i.e. no need to ship it for warranty repairs). I've done searches and found a lot of complaints about the volume.

Whatever I get will be upgrading from a Crate 220. Its rated at 150 watts into 8 ohms, which is what I run it into (Avatar 2x12). I've never needed to turn it up past 6 in any situation, including playing live with a death metal outfit. So I'm wondering if these volume complaints are real, or just coming from people used to using 600 watt-plus setups.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    They are good sounding amps, but horribly underpowered for their rating.

3. I let my friend use it for a show last night. A medium sized hall with no PA support. It clipped slightly and I could hear it with 2 guitars and hard drumming and screaming.

4. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I've used B2Rs for a while and they are a bit weaker than they spec, but it would likely be more than you need compared to your Crate amp.

The B2R will just lose some depth at higher volumes and start to push the mids more. They tend to stay pretty clean all the way up.

5. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Yeah, I figure it wouldn't take much to upgrade from that Crate.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    For about the same price of a b2r, im sure you could get a peavey max700 which will have more power/volume

7. I would definatly NOT get a b2r new though. Seriously. If you can get one used for $400ish then go for it. I spent $600 on mine... sure I love the sound of it but there is no way to justify spending that much money on it. You can get a used mesa 400+ for almost that much if you look. I really urge you not to buy used if you dont have tons of cash to blow.

8. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Used=maybe you find it, maybe you don't.

Used=no warranty.

Used=not an option, at least not for an amp.

550 is the most the b2r costs everywhere I've looked. I'm also considering Hartke. I owned a 2000 some years ago and it gave me fairly good service.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    actually used is a great option for an amp ... The GFS here is a viable option. There are generally several heads up for grabs.

If you do a little checking on the other party and deal with someone who is an active member of this community, you stand very little risk. One strong suggestion - if the deal doesn't feel right - don't do it.

As for as the warranty is concerned, unless abuse occurs electronics tend to fail on the 'bath tub curve' which peaks at 90 days and years down the road. if you don't believe that, you might want to start a poll here and ask how many folks have actually had a warranty claim on their amplifier. and how many folks have actually had to pay for a repair out of warranty. I think you'll find that warranty repairs are very rare.
    ...and yes the B2R is a nice sounding but not very strong amp. I would think it a marginal upgrade from your Crate. Tonally you gain. Volume wise, not significantly. I suspect you'd be finding an upgrade necessary sooner that you would prefer. Go for something a bit stronger is my advice (and worth every penny!) Mal

10. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Considering the b2r is the exact same as the b2 combo, minus the 15, I can add some input. At low volumes the thing has nice tone, but when you crank it up it really does start to get mid-heavy. Gigging with it always was a problem... It just wasnt loud enough, even for medium sized venues. I can guarentee its not 350 watts at 4 ohms (or 2, whatever it might be). Id be safe and try to find a used head. I got my mesa 400 for $575, and it can push LOTS of air. Look around, weigh your options, and i strongly suggest buying something you like used.

11. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    In the under-$600 price range, it would probably be worthwhile to check out the G-K 700RB-II. It has 480w into 4 ohms, 320 into 8 ohms. It is also compact and lghtweight. I hear Rik's Music has the best G-K prices.

I tried the B-2R when auditioning heads and IMO the volume issue is fact. I think the Avatar 2x12 in particular would benefit from the extra power versus what the B-2R can provide.

Also remember that most manufacturers have authorized repair centers around the country.

12. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I quite likely won't ever buy any used amp mail order. To me that's just crazy.

Nothing used worth getting popped up during my most recent music store tour. Pawn shops aren't ever a good option. Used items just never happen good for me.

Now if the right deal on a Warwick FNA comes around...

13. IMHO, the B-2R is plenty loud. I think it may have to do with the location/venue your playing at.
    Mine is currently powering a Hartke 4x10 xl and an Avatar 1x15. I play in a hardcore punk band therfore always have the gain and master set at "9", with the bass, ultra-mids, treble knobs usually in the same position between 12 and 3 o'clock depending on the song being played. The 9 band graphic eq is "W" shaped.
    The peak and limiter lights are constantly on for the most part being that I'm competing with the guitarist's 100w old school tube amp.
    The only effect I use with this band is a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. On the other hand, I use a flanger and overdrive pedal in another band and have to turn down the volume in order to keep it from sounding like crap when I stomp on my overdrive (naturally).

I think most people who despise the B-2R are wanting 600+ watts in the first place. Those who just don't think it's loud enough realize it's (200w @ 8ohms/350w @ 4ohms) an Ampeg and therefore tone is more important than volume.
    I therefore am stuck in the middle. It's just loud enough for one band (the band that plays the most) and the exact tone for the other. I do have to say that the tone is very very good all the way up to the top of it's volume range. It's also been extremely reliable.
    I guess my next GAS is a power amp to power the B-2R's excelent preamp :bassist:

BTW, I bought mine from BassNW 2 years ago for $450. Shop around.

14. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Both,

I had a B2r for two years, and found out it dies after a year and a half of hard use. That's one thing I've noticed about Ampeg. They sound impressive right out of the box, but gradually lose their punch when used extensively.

I bought it new for $400.00 on a special deal.

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If youre stuck on Ampeg, my advice would be to look at the SVT series.

If you need to spend the same money however, look at the previous suggestions, especially the Peavey.

Just my two cents.

16. Another thing to remember about buying used is - Ampeg has a 5 year transferable warranty. If you can get the original receipt and it's less then 5 years old then you've got a warranty.

17. I have a B2R and I like it. Sure it doesn't have tons of power, but ut has the Ampeg tone and it was only $350 used. I have had it for a year and a half. I run it into Ampeg 2x10 and 1x15. Both are 8 ohm so togther I am running them at 350w @ 4 ohms.

Volume seems fine for most spaces and with the xlr out I can always get some PA support. I play with drums and a couple of LOUD guitars and have no complaints. If you are looking for Ampeg tone on a budget I would reccomend the B2R.

Buy it used though. If you can spend a few bucks more, you may want to go with an Ampeg SVP-CL pre and a decent Power amp setup.

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've heard the best way to deal with the volume level on a B2r is to crank the power amp all the way up and adjust the volume with your input gain. I know this is the opposite way from what we've all been taught.
    You might want to consider the pre power amp set up. A brand new Ampeg pre amp, SVPPRO, SVPCL, etc... is $500 at musician's freind or Music123 with free shipping and 1 year same as cash. A 1000 watt carvin power amp is $325. That's a hell of a great sounding set up for $850 and will knock down walls with that 610hlf.
    My suggestion since you already have something to play through would be to wait and save up the extra bux to get that pre/power set up instead of buying something now and later wishing you would have waited.

19. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

Get Ampeg. Get respect and tone while girls love you! What more could you want??????? :D

20. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have a b2-r and after 6 months of using it I realised it's no where close to powerful enough. Now I have a M-Pulse 600 and love the beast :bassist: