Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2R opinions on local deal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whoapower, Aug 25, 2005.

1. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to look at an Ampeg B2R head later this evening. It's been sitting in its original box for 2 years and has never been cranked on. Difficult to believe? Maybe, but possible. Going for $300.

I'd be doing a mild upgrade from my old GK 200RCB, which is a 100w head, which goes into a JBL ~220w 4ohm 15" + tweeter. I also have a GK 200MB, which works well as a monitor if I use the effects out on the amp to effects in on the combo.

My initial idea was to wait for a deal on a 400RB or wait for an 800RB. This will be used in practice rooms and small venues. I'm doing this because of the clipping on the 200RCB and just a bit more power.

Good deal? Thoughts?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That's a good price new. While the B2 is pretty underpowered for a main gigging head, for a practice/small gig head, I think it'd be great.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Meh is all I have to say.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I've got one, it's not good. It's fine if you want some nice headroom to practice with by yourself. I wouldn't get it otherwise.

5. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks greatly for the commentaries. I will end up waiting on a GK replacement for my GK, since it is what I know.

6. damn you haters... :rollno:

Are you guys playing stadiums or ampitheaters where you need 600+ watts or more coming from your cab, or are you playing venues with no mic'ing?

I've got my B2R matched with a 4x10 and a 1x15, bypass the eq, gain set at 10, and use the master for volume.
    Or is it that you play or sound crappy that you keep your volume SO loud for when the sound guy turns it down. :p

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You really can't go wrong with a GK1001RBII. A great sounding, easy to use, high powered head for $600 brand new is tough to beat.

8. come on... it's 350 watts.
    hardly underpowered :rolleyes:

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I dunno..Ive used one, and it seems to be a very QUIET 350 watts.

10. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I'll second that.When I had one the most common thing I heard at gigs was," Can you turn up? I now play GK and am frequently asked to turn down.............

11. Wow, this is the best laugh I've had in a while. My guitarist is also reading the post and laughing just as hard. Thanks guys!
    :D

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's a very quiet 350 watts.

P.S. I use a 60 watt Sunn Sceptre, and it's louder than the B2R, even with the same cabs.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I've got a 300w amp that I use on stage...wanna compare volume?

Most of the current Ampeg crop are definitely...um...estimated a bit on the high side when talking wattage.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    LOL...Like Burning said. I believe he and I use the same head and the 300 watts it puts out compared to the B2Rs "350" don't much compare!

15. I have a B2 in combo form and I occasionally use it with an extension cabinet to get the full 350 watts. It seems plenty loud to me. For the record, I'll be playing a large outdoor blues festival over Labor Day and I'll probably use my silver-face Bassman 50 with a 1 X 15" cabinet. I'll have the sound tech mic the cabinet, DI the bass, and throw some bass in the monitors and I'll be good to go. Like BoognishMang, I wonder where a lot of you guys are playing where you need 1000+ watts. In this day and age, with sophisticated PA systems, I can't understand the need for all those watts, all the gear to haul and all that stage volume. If you need a 1000 watt amp to be heard at your gigs, I feel safe in saying you won't be hearing ANYTHING in a couple of years!

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FYI, 90% of the time when you both mic the cab and run a DI from the bass to the mains, it results in phase cancellation and your tone and low end suffers BADLY . . . Most experienced soundmen who care about their craft won't do this precisely for this reason.

I'd recommend doing one or the other, but not both.

17. If we were running sound ourselves, I would only DI the bass but I've never had had a problem using a DI and micing a cabinet when a good tech was running sound. My point was that you simply don't need tons of wattage from your rig if you run through the PA.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Most hearing loss comes from high end...not low end...besides, no one here has been advocating buying a 1000w amp and then cranking it. Anytime I've noticed hearing discomfort on stage it's been from loud cymbals or overly loud guitar/keyboards in my monitors. From hearing tests I've taken, I've not had ANY reduced hearing since I started gigging with bands in 1985.

If you notice, Cheezewiz and I both are comparing this amp's volume to one that's LOWER in wattage (and finding it not comparable).

The reality of the situation is that wether you've got great stage monitoring or none (Yes, I've been in both situations hundreds of times) more watts means more clean headroom and better tone...pushing low end takes wattage.

If'n you're willing to take the gamble that EVERY gig you show up for is going to have: a good PA, a good soundsystem out front, a good stage monitoring situation, then by all means, show up with a 50w amp. I personally don't like to take chances. I prefer to know I can carry my own sound if I need it...I can (and do) turn down when possible. On top of that, many of us have more stage volume to contend with than a few "fat harps"...I'm not currently fighting Marshall stacks, but have in the past.

In tems of hauling gear, my rig fits in the back of my Nissan Maxima, with room for 3 people. No backbreaking load ins.

19. Well, take what you need. I carry the B2 combo and the Bassman 50 to my gigs and use the Bassman when I can. I have been through the Marshall stack vs. my bass stack "volume battles" in years past and I understand what you are saying about the cymbals and the highs causing hearing loss rather than the lows but if your band's stage volume is such that you need a lot of watts to be heard, then that means the highs are also blaring. If we hire a horn or 2 and a keyboard, our stage volume can get louder than I'd like it to be. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just offering an alternate viewpoint with regard to stage volume. I have seen bass players whose entire stage rig consisted of a direct box...now THAT'S a leap of faith!

It may be that I'm misunderstanding the playing circumstances that a lot of folks are in. I use the Bassman where I can, typically smaller club dates (or any size gig where top shelf PA reinforcement is available). The B2 combo, with or without an extension cabinet, for bigger club dates and things like tent shows or rinky-dink festivals where the sound reinforcement might be "iffy." A couple of weeks back, I played a big festival on a big concert stage and they provided an SVT-CL and an 8 X 10" cabinet (miced and DI'd) but the B2 or even the Bassman 50 would have sufficed given the excellent PA and excellent techs.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Ampeg may have been listening to all these complaints, as they've dumped this amp (and the SVT-350H) in favor of a new model with a nominal 450W.

When I got a new SVT-350H (for almost nothing), I unplugged a Sunn Sorado (2xKT88) head and plugged in the SVT-350H and immediately got the identical impression. I've actually never used the amp, so I personally don't know what it can or can't do.

It's been repeatedly asserted that these amps do indeed have their rated wattage, so I don't know where all the alleged misperception of gutlessness is coming from. If Jerrold or someone authoratative could explain, I'd be grateful.