Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2R or SVT3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Hi everyone I dont know if I should get the B2R or the SVT3-Pro either one wiould be played through a SVT 6 x 10. I will need to play over at least a Mesa boogie Single rectifier.

How does the Tube overdrive sound??

2. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The 3 pro will give you better "ampeg tone." The b2r is cool too, but sounds a little more sterile. I like the 3pro more. The tube overdrive gives it a gritty sound. The 3 pro is much more flexible. I was gonna get a 3pro, but I'm gonna get an svp-pro and a mackie instead- more power and headroom.

Hope I helped.

Dan

3. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    You really can't go wrong either way. Both great heads. I A-B'd them both for a long time, and hard a hard time choosing. I think they are both really close in loudness.

As far as tube overdrive...all I can get out of my 3-pro is lots of clean headroom. The only way I can get an even slight overdrive is to turn the gain all the way up and the master all the way down, and it really doesn't sound very good, IMO. I actually prefer the SS sound. I use very little of the tube.

I actually was leaning toward the B-2R, and only decided on the SVT-3Pro because I could get it for only $150 more than the B-2 (normally $300 difference).

Dave

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Good! Dont say it! :p

I like the 3 pro better because it has the tube preamp and driver tubes in it, so you can give it a slight distortion by turning up the tube gain knob. It is one of the better-sounding ampeg heads out there. And it should have no trouble keeping up with a Mesa single recto. Especially with a 6x10! Man, you will be kicking ass and pushing air with that rig! Good luck! :)

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Both great amps but I like the 3pro a little better!
    It's all to you and your ears!
    Good Luck!