B2R or SVT3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Hi everyone I dont know if I should get the B2R or the SVT3-Pro either one wiould be played through a SVT 6 x 10. I will need to play over at least a Mesa boogie Single rectifier.

How does the Tube overdrive sound??
  2. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The 3 pro will give you better "ampeg tone." The b2r is cool too, but sounds a little more sterile. I like the 3pro more. The tube overdrive gives it a gritty sound. The 3 pro is much more flexible. I was gonna get a 3pro, but I'm gonna get an svp-pro and a mackie instead- more power and headroom.

Hope I helped.

3. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    You really can't go wrong either way. Both great heads. I A-B'd them both for a long time, and hard a hard time choosing. I think they are both really close in loudness.

As far as tube overdrive...all I can get out of my 3-pro is lots of clean headroom. The only way I can get an even slight overdrive is to turn the gain all the way up and the master all the way down, and it really doesn't sound very good, IMO. I actually prefer the SS sound. I use very little of the tube.

I actually was leaning toward the B-2R, and only decided on the SVT-3Pro because I could get it for only $150 more than the B-2 (normally $300 difference).

4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Good! Dont say it! :p

I like the 3 pro better because it has the tube preamp and driver tubes in it, so you can give it a slight distortion by turning up the tube gain knob. It is one of the better-sounding ampeg heads out there. And it should have no trouble keeping up with a Mesa single recto. Especially with a 6x10! Man, you will be kicking ass and pushing air with that rig! Good luck! :)
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Both great amps but I like the 3pro a little better!
    It's all to you and your ears!
    Good Luck!