B2R Owners?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevin Cheek, Nov 21, 2003.

1. My Son is saving his Cash to get a B2R and a Avatar 410. Later he will add a 115. Now I know there are alot of posts about underpowering. What settings are you B2R users using?
  2. B2R will give you some great tone, but not a ton of power. Seems like you've already done a search though so you knew that...

Settings shouldn't have anything to do with the amount of volume it pumps out if that's what you're thinking...
  3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I've got a B2R / Avatar 410 rig. Works quite nicely. If he's planning to add a 115 later on I thin I'd suggest a higher power amp though. I don't think the B2R would do the jusitce of 2 amps. It's a good small venue setup though.
  4. I bought the B2R, 2 weeks ago. It definatly isn't the 350watts it is said to be. I use it with an avatar 2x10 and a genze benz 1x15, and I really don't have the volume I desire. I already tried exchanging it with the hartke3500. the hartke had more volume, but sounded so bland. I am thinking about adding an avatar 4x10 to move more air, and pu tit with my 2x10. I'm really not sure on the whole underpower thing because it makes zero sence why you damage a speaker just because you aren't giving it all the power it can handle. Dave from avatar says his cabs are efficent and should be fine, but a lot of people on here say otherwise. If I were you, I would try for a louder amp, maybe in the 450-500 range, but I really like mine.
  5. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I have a B2r and have no problems competing with a hard hitting drummer and a guitarist with a Marshall 1/2 stack. I used to use a Hartke 1x15 and last night i bought a Ampeg 6x10. Even with the 1x15 they sometimes told me to turn down....practice in a residential area. Plus most of the time you play out the amp is just used to stage monitors; you're miked 99% of the time.
  6. Actually, the B2R sounds much better pushing 2 cabs than it does only getting the 200 watts into a single 8 ohm cab... can't say I've ever tried it with a 4 ohm cab so I can't comment on that.
  7. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Is your son already set on an Ampeg?

In the same $550-$600 price range he might look at a SWR Workingman 400 (400 watts at 4 ohms) and the Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II (480 watts at 4 ohms).

I have been checking out a lot of heads lately, and I found the B2R to be the noisiest (background or white(?) noise) of this bunch. Each cab has the signature sound or voicing of its maker, but there are plenty of tone adjustments to let you dial in what you want.
  8. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have a B2, same as B2R. Its plenty loud in my opnion, but you have to have a 4 OHM load to get the full 350 Watts. If he gets an Avatar cab, it will probably be 8 OHMS if he plans to pair it up one day with anothe 8 OHM cab. SO, in the mean time, he will only get 200+ watts into an 8 OHM load.

So, you could get something else louder at 8 OHms, or get the added cab to get full power at 4 OHMS. 8 OHMS + 8 OHMS = 4 OHMS load. Forget two 4 OHMS cabs, you would have a 2 OHM load and it won't do less than 4.

I play in a classic rock cover band, with mic's drums, and two loud guitarists. I have plenty of headroom runnign the head into my SVT-410 HLF cab rated at 4 OHMs.

So, for a beginner amp, this is a good bang for the buck. Just keep in mind that to get full power, you will need either 1 4 OHM cab OR 2 8 OHM cabs to get the full volume.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How about the new Yorkville XS400H? Cheaper than the B2R with more features, better warranty, and more power, as well has having a tube preamp?