Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

b2r that hums like hell!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwick719, Dec 25, 2004.

1. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    Hey guys and girls...whats up. I just bought a ampeg b2r head and an 410hlf at a local pawn shop for 400 dollars(d@#$ good deal huh?) Well the prob i have is that its gives me ultra bad feedback or a huge hum when i step 5 feet away from it or closer....another thing is that whenever I touch the tip of the cable it almost blows out my 410 :mad: !!! no joke....i have to shut off my amp to un-plug. What should i do????

Any help is greatly appreciated.....
    Thanks,

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Do you have a bass plugged in? Is it a low-ish buzzing (hum) or a high-pitched squeal (feedback)?

"whenever I touch the tip of the cable it almost blows out my 410"

That's normal. Always plug the cable into your bass first, then into your amp, and unplug it from the amp first, the bass second, preferably with the amp turned off.

3. Well, cable tip touching is an important quality, but it could be a myriad of things besides the amp.

old-fashioned single coil hum (if you have that design)
    bad cable
    bad wiring electronics in your bass

or, if it is the cab, a blown tweet or shorted wire somewhere.

Also, try pluggin the amp in different plugs around the house. Sometimes, the ground might be noisy.

sounds like a good deal, especially if it is the PR410HLF.

4. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    the cable, cabinet, and the guitar(warwick corvette 4) are all at the most 5 months old

do you think a power conditioner will help?

5. you shouldn't need a power condtioner.

Is this the first amp you have had with a tweeter? Just curious. Does it hiss with all controls set flat? Can you attenuate the tweeter in the back of the cab?

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... Could be the tweeter.

Another thing you can do is test all the equipment out with other stuff. Try the B2R with another cab.... try another head (if you can borrow one) with your cab for a day. Also, fail test the bass and all cables involved in the equation of your setup. It wont hurt.

$400 is a crazy deal.... just hope you didnt get ripped. ;)

7. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    yes, this is my first amp with a tweeter...i will admit that i have no clue how to adjust it...maybe yall could help...there is a dial on the back that says level control and has numbers 0 to 16 and also has what i think is a infinaty symbol(prob. wrong) when an instrument is not hooked up to it the noise gets loud the quiet then bassy then trebly....its soundds realy f***ed up..............................

8. turn your tweeter down on the back of the amp, set everything flat on your bass. Run your bass passive, if possible.

any neon near by?

Another thing is warwick electronics con occassionally pick up RF interference.

9. I have the B2R and I have similar problems... its not my basses though, it just hums when nothing is plugged in. I dont really know what the problem is.

10. warwick719

warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    nope.......none at all.......what do i turn the tweeter to to turn it down or off?