B2R vs. Behringer BX3000T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., May 25, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So right now I have the Behringer, and I'm happy with it's tone and volume, but I have the chance to get a B2R for a really good price(although I can't try before I buy, so I have no idea what the tone/ volume of this is). I just want to know if it's "underpowered" in terms of Ampeg stuff, or if it would put out about the same volume as the Behringer. The only places we play with no PA support are small and the Behringer fills them up no problem. Thanks for your opinions. God Bless.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    From my limited experience with both heads, the Behringer is actually a bit louder than the B2R, and I think it sounds better. YMMV, however.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm going to fundamentally agree with Ox. You'll lose money by getting the Ampeg and it won't be that much better (if at all), but I'm sure it will be more reliable. Save the money for a real upgrade to your gear instead of making baby steps that cost $100 or more.
  4. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Sounds good to me. Thanks guys.
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    As a B2R owner I agree. Save your money and get something with at least 500Watts in order to call it an upgrade. Picking up a B2R would only give you a more expensive brand name, really.
  6. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
  7. I've owned both. The Ampeg has a punchier sound and is louder. The Behringer seemed to get buried in the mix and had a somewhat subdued sound IMO. I have 3) B2R's and wouldn't give them up for a Behringer of any kind.
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

How about a Yorkville head? Just something to consider :hyper:
  9. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Since you already have the Behringer, don't get the AMpeg, because it won't be that much different. I would recommend saving for a quality head, but if you are happy with the Behringer for now, keep using it...
  10. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I don't really fancy Yorkville. I'm heading down to South Carolina tomorrow, maybe I can find some place to check out some GK or Kustom heads. Thanks for all the advice guys.
  11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Don't know about the Kustom, but I like the sound I got from GK's I've played thru.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The B2R isn;t erribly loud but it is a nice sounding head. Through a set of efficient cab's it ought to be able to do small to medium clubs without problem. Tonally the Ampeg is quite a nice head. I'm into a more forward sort of sound and would prefer a GK head it however. The GK will be cleaner and punchier while the Ampeg will be warmer. Both should smoke the Behringer tonally and noise floor wise. I would give both those heads a listen and see if your sound is in either one. I gigged GK for a long time and my experience with them was great.
  13. Something I found out on another forum: You get the best sound and power out of the Ampeg B2R and SVT3Pro by running the master at maximum and gain to taste. I tried it last night and it works. More volume, more "headroom", etc. Just thought I would pass that on. (Came from an Ampeg employee.) ;)
  14. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    IMO, if you're in a gigging band, and you sometimes gig without PA support - you need two heads. Regardless of how much you may like the one you have. If your one and only head develops a problem, and you don't have a quick way to borrow/rent another, gigs get canceled, and currently good relationships with club owners are trashed.

You said you could get the B2R for a "really good price"... is it used? If the price is good enough that you could sell it and get all your money back, I'd jump. Can't lose if you can cash it back out. And you'll have that all-important backup amp.

BTW, I have a 3Pro (a bit more than a B2R, I know), and I've tinkered for an hour or two on that Behringer.... the B isn't in the same town, much less the same ballpark....
  15. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I liked my BX3000, until some bad AC power caused it to catch fire, but that's another story...

My dealer bought it back and I got an Ampeg B2R. I prefered the Ampeg sound but it was underpowered. A faulty trasnformer caused it to die during my second gig with it and my dealer bought it back...

Third time's a charm! I upgraded to an Ampeg SVT3 which I love.

In conlcusion. If you are happy with your Behringer, I'd stick with it. The B2R is a questionable upgrade.
  16. White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    I had a BX3000t and changed it by an AMPEG stv350h...
    I noticed a nice diference between the 2 head with the same cab... My opinion is "go for AMPEG"
  17. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Tried a B3000xt on a gig and it began to fade (lose power) after about 2 hours. The power switch was useless, I had to unplug the B3000xt to get it to turn off. In short, it was worthless to me. I took it back to Guitar Center and swapped it out for a B2R. The Ampeg is rock solid, powerful enough, and dependable.

That's just my experience

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  18. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I'd go with the GK Backline 600.
  19. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt buy a damn thing, and I'd save up for a more "middle tier" head, as far as power and quality is concerned. If your going to swap your Behringer for another head that's not going to give you any more volume, and not sound much better... than that's just a wasted endeavor.

Save up at least $500... and probably more. The Kustom would be a great start, I would think, because it would aleveiate any need for power you'd ever run into. I've given it a test run, and its tone definately extends beyond what you'd expect from $500.

Also, $600 or so could get you a sweet pre-power rig. BBE BMax preamp and a QSC RMX850... and that's if you go new. Something to ponder. :cool:
  20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Don't forget the Traynor YBA-200 for $600. All tube goodness :)