1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B2r with serial #0057

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ben Berd, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ben Berd

Ben Berd

Dec 8, 2011
    Nottingham Pa
    I was checking out my b2r and i noticed the serial number was BDKDO00057 I saw this:

Digits 1, 2, 3 = Model BDK? I would think it would say b2r?

Digit 4 = Country Code where:

U = U.K.
    *D = domestic U.S.
    W = worldwide
    Y = Europe

Digit 5 = Year where:

A = 1988
    B = 1989
    C = 1990, etc.
    (mine was 2003)

Digit 6 = Month where:

1 through 9 = January through September
    *0 = October
    A = November
    B = December

Digits 7, 8, 9, 10 = serial number - 0057

Does this mean mine was the 57th made?

2. Yup. One of the worst amps Ampeg has ever made. Sterile, no power, and doesn't sound like an Ampeg at all.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I don't think the B2R is by any means Ampeg's most stellar amp - but I don't think it's as bad as some peopel make it out to be. The preamp section is basically the same as what's found in the Micro VR and the PF350, and people love those amps.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Bettered by putting it in a big box and calling it an SVT-350H.

5. BUT..... It's the 57th one made.:bag:

6. Nope. The Micro VR and PF350 have more of a tube emulation circuit built in. I had a long conversation with support about it when my Micro VR with the 2 cabs was farting out. Not the same at all.

7. I don't think it's a bad amp either. Sure, not the best they did, but workable eq, ok power & reliable as...... Still a lot of B2R/E's going around.

8. my B2r's sound great- because i bypass the preamps and run an SVP-Pro through them. BTW, congrats on the low serial number! :)

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    When Gerald gets here, will someone axe him to get me a schematic for the B2r/SVT-350H? :D

I'd like to take a look at the workings.

I bagged a SVT-350H for $269, new, at a GC sale some years ago.

It has just about enough grunt for a practice amp, if there was a way to selectively shut off that unbelievably noisy fan. I silicone-mounted it and everything else, but it still makes a terrible racket. I still don't understand how this amp can be rated at 350WRMS and appear so staggeringly gutless. Others have wondered likewise. :confused:

Anyway, I'm impressed that the #57 amp is at least still working. That's not a sure bet on SLM product.

10. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    HA! So true. That 350-H was just a 40lb box of wood around that B2R thing. Powerless and lifeless to me. it lasted about 2 days before i took, no lugged, it back to where i bought it.

But, there are some who like that tone. That powerless, lifeless tone.... Congrats to the OP that you have one that works for you. As long as you're happy!