Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 8, 2000.

1. I was wondering if anyone had anything bad to say about the ampeg b2r before I make my mind about buying one from mars.
    I like the features, the name, and how bassic it is. Any comments would help.

2. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I've owned one for about 8 months and am very happy with it.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I used one before I got my Eden. I have nothing bad to say about it. I only played one gig with it, and it held up nicely. Hope you enjoy you're amp.

4. Yeah, it's a good amp. Holds up well, fairly powerful and loud (but don't expect *too* much from it). Has got a nice sound but I think the EQ sucks (doesn't seem to do alot in reality). Doesn't heat up much. Lightweight. Simple.

I reckon though it's the kind of amp that'd serve as a stepping stone to something evil and loud (like me, like Nails?). Check out Daddy's UGBM list - sometimes they turn up cheap - mine (used, #7 off the line!) cost me $399 USD all up when I was in the US in May from Daddy's in Boston. And 'cause it's solid-state, it's hard to go wrong buying one used...

Hope this helps!

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well, when they even got it on Mars, go for it! But I guess it's gonna take quite a while...

Sorry.
    Sometimes I can't help...

Matthias

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    BTW I once played a B3 combo at a gig, it seems to have the same pre-amp section. I'm not too much a fan of the 'rough' Ampeg tone, but it did a good job on a very loud stage, though it was very close to clipping all the time. And I do not agree that the 10-band EQ does too little. But one has to switch the EQ on... :D
    Sorry nil, did not want to offend you, maybe we just expect different things to happen.

Matthias

7. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I've owned a B2R for about two years. It has a nice range of tones, good volume (for a 350w. amp.), and has been reliable. ... I like it.

As always YMMV.

8. no offence taken, mate! i just found that the EQ didn't really change the sound as much as i was expecting. i used mine to add a little sizzle to the HF and to completely cut the 50Hz when playing my dan armstrong (screws up subharmonics for some reason).

the bass/ultramid/treble controls however are very useful. i also found that you'll get a better punchier sound if you leave the stupid limiter off! :) i'd rather have a B2R than most amps out there at the moment.

9. I own too and am very satisfied with it.For the price and features it is a good buy.