1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

B2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 8, 2000.

1. I was wondering if anyone had anything bad to say about the ampeg b2r before I make my mind about buying one from mars.
    I like the features, the name, and how bassic it is. Any comments would help.

2. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I've owned one for about 8 months and am very happy with it.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I used one before I got my Eden. I have nothing bad to say about it. I only played one gig with it, and it held up nicely. Hope you enjoy you're amp.

4. Yeah, it's a good amp. Holds up well, fairly powerful and loud (but don't expect *too* much from it). Has got a nice sound but I think the EQ sucks (doesn't seem to do alot in reality). Doesn't heat up much. Lightweight. Simple.

I reckon though it's the kind of amp that'd serve as a stepping stone to something evil and loud (like me, like Nails?). Check out Daddy's UGBM list - sometimes they turn up cheap - mine (used, #7 off the line!) cost me $399 USD all up when I was in the US in May from Daddy's in Boston. And 'cause it's solid-state, it's hard to go wrong buying one used...

Hope this helps!

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well, when they even got it on Mars, go for it! But I guess it's gonna take quite a while...

Sorry.
    Sometimes I can't help...

Matthias

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    BTW I once played a B3 combo at a gig, it seems to have the same pre-amp section. I'm not too much a fan of the 'rough' Ampeg tone, but it did a good job on a very loud stage, though it was very close to clipping all the time. And I do not agree that the 10-band EQ does too little. But one has to switch the EQ on... :D
    Sorry nil, did not want to offend you, maybe we just expect different things to happen.

Matthias

7. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I've owned a B2R for about two years. It has a nice range of tones, good volume (for a 350w. amp.), and has been reliable. ... I like it.

As always YMMV.

8. no offence taken, mate! i just found that the EQ didn't really change the sound as much as i was expecting. i used mine to add a little sizzle to the HF and to completely cut the 50Hz when playing my dan armstrong (screws up subharmonics for some reason).

the bass/ultramid/treble controls however are very useful. i also found that you'll get a better punchier sound if you leave the stupid limiter off! :) i'd rather have a B2R than most amps out there at the moment.

9. I own too and am very satisfied with it.For the price and features it is a good buy.