Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2RE and SVT-410HLF cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwaugh, Feb 26, 2006.

1. jwaugh

jwaugh

Feb 26, 2006
    West Virginia
    I've been offered a great deal on an Ampeg B2RE w SVT-410HLF cab (4 ohm). Play 80's rock ... 97 Fender 5 stringer ..

The amp specs are 450 watts (@ 4 ohms), but the cab specs list 'program handling' at 1000 .. RMS at 500 watts. Will this amp be *enough* (playing smaller venues) to drive the cab? The B2RE is SS .. Sansamp help round the sound (and up the power sufficiently?)

thanks!
    Jay

2. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I played that exact setup at my local Guitar Center and it sounded really, really good in my opinion. The low end was amazing through that cab and I got really nice highs too. I didn't have a chance to mess around with the EQ much but I didn't really need to. I loved the sound I got. I own a B2R (350W) and I'm planning on buying the 410-HLF myself. If the price is right, I'd say go for it.

3. That's a great setup.

I have the Ampeg SVT-410HLF and plan on getting either a SVT-450H (The BR2E, just in a SVT case) or a SVT-CL if someone plans on giving one up. ;)

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't know the price you are paying for this rig, but the B2RE hasn't been out that long, so it's probably pretty new. Normally for the same price you can buy a used SVT-3 Pro. I played the B2RE through an SVT610HLF (pretty close) today, then switched to the SVT-3 Pro, and it sounded twice as good, but that's not to say the B2RE won't sound very good. I personally did not like it - no warmth.

Skel

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    I agree with Skel.
    I tried the same setup at GC last Tuesday.I was running through a B2RE and it sounded pretty good.
    I was suprised at how strong the 4-10 Ampeg cab was.Then I played a 3 Pro.No compairison. Stop by a GC and try everything they have in their Ampeg display.I guess it really depends on how sweet the deal is your being offered.Your gonna spend some serious cash,be darn sure what you like and what your options are.