Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B2RE Speakon or 1/4"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by need4mospd, Jan 17, 2006.

1. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I recently bought a B2RE and a 4x10 SVT HE cabinet to replace my combo that I've had for years. Right now, I'm just using a single 1/4" connector from the amp to the cabinet.

What I'm confused about, is that there are two 1/4" outputs and only one Speakon output. Would either running a second 1/4" to my cabinet or running a Speakon cable to my cabinet instead make any difference in volume, sound, etc...? I've done searches and read up on ohms and impedance and all that, but it's still not coming to me. I guess I've always been a little slow when it comes to that stuff. :meh:

Help a newbie out! :D

2. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    ok i would go with the one speakon out of the amp, and into the speakon on the cab.Drop the 1/4",it is not as good as the speakon.Your speaker cab is probably 8 ohms,there are 2 1/4" jacks and a speakon on your cab also but the extra 1/4" is for daisy chaning another cab.

3. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    That was quick, thanks!

Would it make a volume difference or just sound quality?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is absolutely no aural advantage or benefit whatsoever in using a speakon cable at those power levels. If you currently own a decent 1/4" speaker cable, it is perfectly fine.

But, if you are having a hard time finding a match to light your pile of money, get one. Preferably one with zircon encrusted contacts and insulated with the hairs of virgin llamas.

5. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    well if you are going to use a 1/4" go with as thick a cable you can get 14awg or so.Speaker cable only,never a guitar cable.- speakons do have advantages They lock in - can't be accidently pulled out
    - Much greater contact area - less resistance than jacks
    Solderless screw terminals
    non-shorting insertion,
    no confusion with mike, guitar or power connections

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Thats great because I know a guy that breeds virgin llamas!

If there is nothing but a barely audible difference I won't waste the money. But why would they only put one Speakon output and two 1/4" outputs on the B2RE?

7. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Probably just giving you the option to use a least 1 speakon,speakons
    handle higher current better but that is like over 500watts.

8. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    you're talking about a speakon to speakon lead?
    what about the speakon to 1/4" jack? errr...with this one, which end goes into the amp?!!@@!@$!? :meh:

as in here: has a speakon input to the cab... http://www.worldguitars.co.uk/ebay/svt610/AmpegSVT610003bg.jpg

as well as the head having a speakon output...what's the dillio?

9. The speakon jack has 4 conductors in it, therefore, you only need one. This is handy because you can switch two leads in the connector to get bridge mode, or you can get a speakon cable that is essentially a Y to run to both cabs without daisy chaining.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

It's a mono amp. The two 1/4s are there as a parallel send just as you see two 1/4s on the cab. It is there on the head so you can wire up two cabs in parrallel even if there are no parrallel jacks on the cabs. So, looking up two cabinets, one into each of the 1/4s on the head, is, in effect, exactly the same electronically as running a speaker cable to one cab and daisying from the first to the second using the parallel sends on the cab itself.

There's no reason why you couldn't design the amps and cabinets with speakons in exactly the same way. Ampeg jsut didn't. We have a bunch of EAW PA monitors that use speakon and can be daisyed together.

The only difference in the two for your application is the mechanical coupling method. Speakon won't come out without first unlocking it.

Typically speakon cables use heavier wire. But, as long as the guage of wire is rated for the current, there is no real benefit to the heavier wire at lengths as short as a head to cab cable. If we are talking 25'-30' run, that is a different story.

11. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    they give you extra connections on cabs,so you can daisy chain,to another cab.

12. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    that cab can be speakon daisy chained.