Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B4K Update!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavierG, Sep 17, 2003.

1. As you might know, the Bass For Kids Project was put on hold over the summer, while I scouted around for a source for suitable and reasonably priced basses to donate. (Also, I had a few health issues that had to be dealt with - I'm good as new now). Although the donation to the Barbara Jordan Middle School (in MI), which was to happen in June, had to be put on hold, I am pleased to announce that we are prepared to move on with the project. I have made arrangements with a dealer who will supply us with MIM Jazz basses (previous year stock) for below their cost (only for B4K purposes, so don't ask me if I can get you one at the discounted price.) The entire package (consisting of a bass/amp/gigbag/cord & strap) will run me about $550 Canadian (a bit more than what it would have cost with the "other" bass I was planning to use, but well worth it (in my humble opinion) for a better quality package.

The project was not completely dormant over the summer - we donated a "like new" MIM Fretless Jazz Bass (sent by Michael Jewels), to a local group that dedicates itself to helping high risk kids by providing them with weekend jobs, recreational activities, sports, camps, etc. The administrator agreed to make a room availabe for band use at their facility, as long as I volunteered to oversee the bands progress (which I have been doing for a month now). My wife and I donated a small drum kit, 2 amplifiers, and a few other odds and ends. A friend donated 2 MIM Strats. Another friend provided a small P.A. with a couple of mics.

Now that we're back on track, the B4K WEBSITE will be back online shortly (you can contribute any amount via the site). Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions.

HERE'S THE ORIGINAL B4K THREAD

2. wow, as i said before: You're quite the philanthropist aren't you? cool deal dude, keep it up.

3. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Glad to hear the project is still alive and kicking - it's too good of a cause to let it fade away. I'm also glad to hear we're going the extra mile for quality equipment instead of just jumping on the cheapest option - it would be a shame to have an up-and-comer put off by bad equipment.

As always, you da man, X - I'll have another donation headed your way shortly.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good man X!