1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B9 Organ pedal. How does it work for you?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blue4, Oct 28, 2018.

1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Yesterday I was at the resell shop and came across the B9 for $120. On impulse, I bought it. Some settings sound ok, like the classic rock, fat and full, and cathedral. Others it doesn't seem to track well. I know it's designed to be a guitar pedal, but I've seen others use it to good effect with bass. So far I've noticed that using the bridge J pickup solo seems to help its performance. I'd really love to be able to use this when there is more than one bass guitar at the party. What do you guys do to get the most out of this pedal?

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

To get the best out of the B9 I leave it to my guitarist SO. Her Strat sounds great through ours. Didn’t much care for it with any of the basses I tried it with.

3. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Not many B9 users I guess.....

Looks like it'll be all trial and error.

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I'll have to feel my way around."
    Frank Drebin
    Police Squad

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've found mine to work well with my passive p basses.

blue4 likes this.
  5. You're using the bridge pickup?

It's my understanding that to get better tracking you should use the neck pickup and back off the tone control as well.
    Probably all the techniques used to help an OC-2 track better would work equally as well with the B9. Several threads about tracking synth pedals, octavers, MIDI etc.

Anyway, neck pup, back off the tone control, play over the neck/heel joint... that's what I've read, I don't have a B9 to play with 'cause every time I get some money to buy one, some other pedal pops up for sale....

blue4 likes this.
  6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I had one that worked well with my bass as long as I played with afirm,even attack and fretted the notes cleanly

blue4 likes this.
  7. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Hmmm. I had figured that since my jazz bass was doing a better job then my Mustang that it was all about getting a thinner tone. I've been doing the exact opposite of what you suggest. I'll try that as soon as I get a chance. Thanks.

8. It's all about getting as much fundamental as possible for the tracking to lock onto. Neck pickup, roll off the tone, even attack and fretting that LesFunk suggested (or if you're as sloppy technique-wise as me you can use a compressor)... Experiment, and use/do whatever works best for you.

Usually there's no right or wrong in pedal abuse, uh, usage... but in this case the right way is whatever works personally.

9. Tori2013

Tori2013

Aug 28, 2015
    I use the bridge pick up on my Jazz as well and it tracks very well. As an effect I relied on it heavily back when I was in a blues trio. I would turn it on during the guitar solos or build ups. It's like a fancy octaver IMHO.

10. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    I have no personal experience with the EHX 9 series organ, keys and synth pedals, but I do know that they are not really designed to be able to track lower than the open A of the A string on a bass.
    You can improve the tracking some though by using a compressor before it, feeding it a more even signal, as well as using an EQ to remove the higher frequency content of your signal, eliminating fret buzz and slide noises, will improve the tracking a bit too.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  11. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I use the C9 and Mel9 (gave Synth9 away as an xmass gift), I use them in the loop of a Superego (or superego+) I tested the mel9/Superego combo I have at home, the 2 sounds that are same octave- cello and brass, both track down to low D on the B string on a 35" scale Lakland. Below that and some osculation dominates so it's mush. Low E is No Problem. This is for played notes that are captured on auto setting set so that it releases for the next note, not just ultra long tones. The organ pedals might have that restriction, there are a lot of 5ths and octave up, I'll have to test the C9 at the studio (which I just liked better that B9 when I A/B'd them).