1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BA-115 input problems!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, Oct 7, 2010.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Anyone else have a problem with their Ampeg's inputs going bad? I got this amp for home practice, but the inputs are horrible. I have to wiggle the cable to get any sound. I can tell it's been messed with, as the faux nuts on the jacks are missing. Is it worth fixing, or should I throw it back up on CL and try to get my money back?

2. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I don't know, I would think that would be a fairly easy and inexpensive fix. I would look into fixing it before I gave up on the amp completely. If you can, get an amp tech to check it out.

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Cliff, I was told the inputs are soldered directly to a small circuit board, a little bit trickier than the old fashioned method. I've inquired to a few techs about it, but they want a 'diagnostic fee' just to open it up. Just doin a bit of research before I start dropping coin. :D

4. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    In the long run, you may want to consider that 'diagnostic" fee. How much are they asking?

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    "Faux" nuts?

Depending on age the input jacks on that are the same as on half the other amps in creation, like Marshall, etc.......

If they are loose, or missing, its a problem, there is no stability to the jacks without being secured to the front panel, so every time you plug in, or tug on teh cable, etc, you are trying to break teh solder joints...... Sounds like you succeeded.....

You can think what you want, but if you use an amp with parts missing, you can generally expect problems. And you seem to have gotten them.

Yes, you almost certainly have broken solder joints...... at this point, you may be better off to have the jacks replaced, since the pins have been abused for however long the nuts have been missing, and you will get new nuts with the new jacks. Might as well get the new jacks installed, you'll be buying them to get the nuts anyhow.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021