baby amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songdog, May 21, 2004.

1. songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    Here we go....
    What do you think about
    1. GK MB 150S-112 Micro-Bass
    2. Ampeg PB-112H
    3. Yorkville BassMaster XM200
    4. Genz-Benz ML 200-115T
    5. GK 210RBH
    6. Ampeg Blem PBC2112
    7. SWR Baby Blue
    8. And lastly... Eden CXC110 Time Traveler 10 Combo...

I know that some of these rigs have been covered however I would like a fresh post. I am looking to move as much air as possible for the least effort lifting. I have 2X10, 1X12, and 1X15 Mesa cabs., for extension spkrs.
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I'm a little confused...

If you have a nice assortment of speakers already, why not just by an amp head? It would probably be least effort to lift, like you wanted.

The list of choices you have is even more confusing... you've listed gear that ranges in price from $250 to near $1000, but you listed the blem PortaBass, even though a brand new one would fit within that range. :confused:

You also listed the PortaBass PB-112H, which is just a speaker cabinet. I hope I don't sound like a jerk for saying this, but your post makes it a little difficult to figure out exactly what you're looking for.

If you could give a little more information... such as your actual price-range, what type of music you play, how loud your band plays, and what type of gear you're looking for (combo, head, pre/power amp, etc.), I'm sure more people will be able to help you find the perfect rig for your needs. :)
  3. songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    The thing is I don't want to lift my cabs. All of them are in excess of 60 lbs. (The 2X10 is a killer).
    I want a combo, again, sorry for listing a spkr. cab in the original post. I think a swr baby baby blue 1X10, or david eden 1X10 @ 39 lbs. would fit the bill.
    I play a mesa D-180 (80 lbs.) power amp with those spkrs. for a large venue. I want something light and powerful for rehersal and small gigs. Thanks for the input. :)
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you need less than 60 pounds, skip any combo with 1-15 or 2-10....they will weigh that much or more.

That shortens the list to Eden, Gk and SWR...but one amp you left off is the Acoustic Image Contra...28 pounds, 200 watts into a 10" woofer plus 5" midrange.

What style of music are we talking about here?
  5. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    If you're dumb enough to build your own like I did, you might come up with something suitable.
    As the bass blayer at church I am the only one left with an amp on stage. I have a 112+115 stack pointed at the crowd. Once we get a little more wiring done, I'll DI into the system. But afraid of what that will sound like with inadequate monitors, I built a kickback combo to put infront of me so I can hear myself well.

I used an Ampeg B1R head and a castframe eminence 15.
    After i finished it, I weighed it on the bathroom scale; 50 lbs on the nose.

It should also do small gigs(I used to gig successfully with a Fender M-80 Combo). I've yet to try it with either the 112 or 115 cabs. It might even reach into the smaller of med. size gigs with and ext cab.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    EA I-Amp350 combo= 59 pounds
    EA I-Amp800 combo= 63 pounds
  7. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Look around for a used SWR Electric Blue head and use it with your 1x12. I use that for my URB rig and it's plenty loud enough-- even with 13 piece band. I really like this head.
  8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I second the SWR Electric Blue or Baby Blue II. May also want to look into the Phil Jones Briefcase.
  9. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Check out the Mesa Walkabout Scout 1 x 12, lots of volume and tone in a little package, plus you get a good functional head to use with other cabs if you like.

50lbs. Worth a look.
  10. songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I thought about the ea amps first. The problem I had was that if I wanted to use a extension spkr. (which in my mind elimates the need for a small light all in one cab.) was that ea would only work with a powered ea cab. If I am wrong someone correct me on this. Not to mention that I have plenty of unpowered 8 ohm cabs on hand.
    Secondly, I have played a buddies swr 4x10 that kicked ass in a rock band that I play with, so I knew what I could expect from swr.
    And finally, I found a blem baby baby blue for $679 and I bought it on the spot.
    So it's a done deal and I thank you all for your feedback. Songdog.