Baby Bass like sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by F-lex, Jan 21, 2018.

1. F-lex

F-lex

Aug 5, 2010
    Hi evrybody,
    I'm wondering how could I get this boomy Baby Bass sound out of a compact bass.
    I d'like it to be short scale.
    Kala Ubass? but I really don't like the floppy feeling from those white string?
    Anything you've tested and ok to you in this way?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    What's a boomy Baby Bass sound?

PauFerro and Gorn like this.
  3. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Maybe a guild Ashbury ....but odd strings as well.

Did any of the early ampeg scroll basses use the same PU or electronics by chance?

4. F-lex

F-lex

Aug 5, 2010
    It's a special kind of Ubass very used in salsa music.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Can you post an example?

6. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    63ECA516-05B6-44C7-BEA0-773C26B758B7.jpeg
    He means Ampeg’s Baby Bass made up until the 70’s. It was an electric upright bass, wasn’t very popular outside of of Latin/salsa.

Fxpmusic, HaphAsSard and F-lex like this.
  7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    That's because of that crappy pickup design. It's boomy but not distinctive.

Mvilmany likes this.
  8. F-lex

F-lex

Aug 5, 2010
    Thank you Mvilmany

Mvilmany likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I thought that's what he might've meant but I didn't know those were common in salsa.

10. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I own a KK Baby Bass which has a pickup/electronics system similar to the original Baby Bass. While it is boomy by nature, there is a lot of musical information being captured by the pickup. I found that by using fdeck's HPF at ~ 100hz to 120hz a lot of the boom is cleared up and the result is a very usable URB like tone.

As to how to cop that sound, if the U bass is too short for your tastes, something like an Epiphone EBO with tapes and a mute might do the trick.

Cheez and Stumbo like this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Here's an example of the sound I found on YouTube...there are plenty of others there.

HaphAsSard, jnewmark and ihixulu like this.
  12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    P bass with flats and a mute at the bridge
    or an Ampeg Baby Bass.

RRR likes this.
  13. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    guild ashbory is 100% the way to go. amazing little bass. they really sound great.

14. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    That video of Freddie Torres playing the baby bass- above - the guy looks EXACTLY like me. Even down to the black shirt and tie that I always wear to gigs. Hilarious! I just sent it to one of my bands, and my family as a gag, telling them I just bought a new Baby Bass, and had a lesson and video session of my playing from my teacher "Freddie Torres" in his studio. Asked them what they thought of my playing.....what a great gag! Thanks for posting it!!!

mikewalker, Rugmaster and HaphAsSard like this.
  15. Foam under the strings at the bridge. You can kill all the sustain and just have the thud.

16. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States

Regarding this video above -- I sent it to my family and band members asking what they thought of my new Baby Bass and results of lessons with Latin bassist Freddie Torres -- the guy who is actually playing in the video and looks exactly like me...I had to create the link about 15 seconds in because Freddie starts speaking in Spanish, and I don't speak it at all.

The first congratulatory email just came in . Here's one response to the prank from my brother, who I just saw a couple weeks ago. My brother was a full-time musician for 10 years so I guess that's why he knows Freddie Torres.

"Freddie Torres - that's very cool - I have heard of Freddie. He is indeed a master, and very well -known internationally ! Way to go! Awesome sound."

Can't wait to see who else I fool with this! I should figure out where Freddie is playing and stand in the front row at a concert or something. Get a picture or something. I could also be a stand-in for signing autographs...!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Except for polka bands.

18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Wow. I always thought they were extremely distinctive. This thread seems to indicate otherwise, but I've never heard anything that sounds like a baby bass. Definitely not a P bass with foam.

Gizmot likes this.
  19. Hi, just wondering what is the scale length of a Baby Bass? I couldn’t open the KK Baby Bass website to check.

20. basshawk21

basshawk21 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Is the Baby Bass as heavy as it looks?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022