Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

baby blue II or baby baby blue (help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iloveloosey, Jul 26, 2002.

1. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    if i had to choose one, what should be my considerations?

baby blue II -- 2 x 8"s and a 5"

160 watts at 4 ohms

45 lbs

or

baby baby blue -- 1 x 10" and a cone tweeter

120 watts at 8 ohms (160 w/extension speaker)

39 lbs

has anyone a/b'd these two???? how do the different speaker configurations affect the tone?

2. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Ive never owned or even seen a 1x10 Baby Blue.
    I have owned both Baby Blue,and Baby Blue II combos.
    My Baby Blue II had a black grille,and was2x8 with horn.I really liked this amp.It faithfully reproduced the tone of my basses,and had good tight bottom.It was lacking in power.
    I later got an early Baby Blue which had the Bag End 8s and a horn.
    I searched for one of these for awhile!I figured it HAD to sound even better.
    WRONG!
    It was "farty" and "loose" Unless something was wrong and I didnt know it,this amp was a great dissapointment,
    These two amps however,have made me a fan of the 8" speaker though.

3. I also have not played a BB Blue. I did have a Baby Blue 2 and it was easily the best small combo I have played thru. It was great for rehersals and as a stage monitor. I was a fool and sold it. I hope to own one again.

Jeff

4. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    i think i'm going to go with the baby baby blue, since its spl is 99db, versus 90db with the bb.

the bbb is 120 watts since its internal speaker is 8 ohms, whereas the bb is 160 at 4, but the spl difference should make up for it. also i could still add an extension cab.